New school in AZ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unlvdmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone shed some light on this (gavin maybe?)
A prof casually mentioned that a new school will open its doors in 2008. Where is it going to be? State/private? Are the students at gavin's school (ASDOH?) thinking its a bad idea? Curious....

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. Simonsen... I interviewed with him and I was not impressed. He was very harsh and made me feel two inches tall. However, I think they all are like that there if you don't know who the secertary of defense was in 1986. :oops: Good luck to them with the new school though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there really a need for ANOTHER school graduating dentists with a quarter million dollars in educational debt? With all the private players getting into the dental school business it seems there must be some cash to be made.

unlvdmd said:
Thanks. Simonsen... I interviewed with him and I was not impressed. He was very harsh and made me feel two inches tall.

Agreed. He thrives on making others feel inadequate.

The school is a private school. There will be 100 in each class. The first class will graduate in 1012, as you stated. I'm sure the article covered all of that.

Word on the street is that the school is a retalliation step against my school.

I, for one, think it's a terrible idea, but I'm current dentists weren't too keen on my school opening in Arizona. I do know that this has essentially closed all talk of a school in Utah. The two schools in Arizona, and yours in Vegas, can easily serve the needs of those from Utah wishing to enter the profession.

Well of course... why on earth would that state divey out funds for something that is being met elsewhere when the students seem to always come back? I was just so shocked to hear that a school was opening in AZ. I just thought to myself why wouldn't they choose to open somewhere where the is NO dental school close by like New Mexico or something? But what the hell does a dental student know... we're all idiots.

CorneliusFudge said:
Is there really a need for ANOTHER school graduating dentists with a quarter million dollars in educational debt? With all the private players getting into the dental school business it seems there must be some cash to be made.

You hit the nail on the head. Could be a sign that trying to enter the dental profession is becomming a fad and that an economic bubble might eventually develop in that field. Folks are beating down the doors to get into dental school and willing to go $300,000 in debt even though defaulting on Uncle Sam's subsidized loans is no picnic anymore. New laws give the Feds and its contracted collectors the authority and means to make life a living hell for those who try to skip out. Hence my advice: If you want to be a dentist for all the right reasons don't let anything stop you...but if you want to do it because all the other bright kids are doing it don't be a lemming.

Isn't there talk about a private dental school planned for Pocatello, ID also?

CorneliusFudge said:

With all what private players? I wouldn't call 2 schools in the last 10 years a huge number of players, not to mention the 3-4 schools that have closed in the last 15-20 years.

ItsGavinC said:
With all what private players? I wouldn't call 2 schools in the last 10 years a huge number of players, not to mention the 3-4 schools that have closed in the last 15-20 years.

True. But when one opens up in Plentywood Montana we will know that the market is becomming saturated. :laugh:

NVDental said:
Isn't there talk about a private dental school planned for Pocatello, ID also?

I think ISU in Pocatello has a program where students can do a year or so of pre-clinical stuff at ISU before finishing up at Creighton. I haven't heard of any plans to put a dental school there.

Seriously, Pocatello is the 2nd biggest city in Idaho - but I don't know if ~70,000 people is big enough to provide an adequate patient base for a school. Idaho has plenty of dentists without getting its own dental school.

I just don't understand the fixation with getting dental schools in Utah and Idaho. People are dying to go back to those states and CAN'T because there are already too many dentists.

CorneliusFudge said:
I think ISU in Pocatello has a program where students can do a year or so of pre-clinical stuff at ISU before finishing up at Creighton. I haven't heard of any plans to put a dental school there.

Seriously, Pocatello is the 2nd biggest city in Idaho - but I don't know if ~70,000 people is big enough to provide an adequate patient base for a school. Idaho has plenty of dentists without getting its own dental school.

True, and one will never happen in Pocatello/Chubbuck. My grandfather was the mayor of the town for 40+ years and assures me that no such thing will ever happen.

The IDEP program is the program you refer to, similar to the RDEP program in Utah, where Creighton students do their first year in their home state than the remaining years in Omahahahahaha.