New Thread: Defining "Violence"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My son does not always want to sit on the potty. However, I use my power to offer him rewards for sitting on the potty. Sometimes, I even physically place him on the potty despite him him telling me that "no I don't have to" (he does). Is that violence? I am using my power to go against his will.

One problem I have with the postmodernist proponents is that they use the term in a nebulous and meaningless way and that's how the undefined term "power" can be used to increase victim culture and applied to terms like violence.

For example, French and Raven discussed kinds of power (coercive, reward, legitimate, referent, expert, and informational). Only one type of those can be conflated with violence.

I doubt anyone here would argue that coercive power is associated with violence. But, we also cannot have a discussion on free will as it's outside the scope of this board and we would likely fail.

Also, this thread just isn't going anywhere lol.

Members don't see this ad.

My son does not always want to sit on the potty. However, I use my power to offer him rewards for sitting on the potty. Sometimes, I even physically place him on the potty despite him him telling me that "no I don't have to" (he does). Is that violence? I am using my power to go against his will.
See note earlier in thread that children and those who have been deemed wards are not fully responsible for themselves. And thus the power differential between them follows and is equitable as long as it is.
One problem I have with the postmodernist proponents is that they use the term in a nebulous and meaningless way and that's how the undefined term "power" can be used to increase victim culture and applied to terms like violence.
see earlier in thread when I define power, using Webster even! Then expound on what I mean when using human power.

For example, French and Raven discussed kinds of power (coercive, reward, legitimate, referent, expert, and informational). Only one type of those can be conflated with violence.

I doubt anyone here would argue that coercive power is associated with violence. But, we also cannot have a discussion on free will as it's outside the scope of this board and we would likely fail.

Also, this thread just isn't going anywhere lol.
I agree that it is unlikely we’ll reach any conclusion that will satisfy us all, but I personally think that’s fine. Thanks for engaging with content and contributing to the discussion.