new to forum (help; kinda long)

Started by heyhey20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

heyhey20

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I'm a current third year bio major and i was interested in optometry and i wondered if people familiar with or in the application process could give me some advice on my situation:

GPA: 2.6
Science: 2.5
Extracurriculars: write for school medical newspaper, volunteer work on campus, work at pharmacy for 3 years, planning on volunteering at optometry office winter break, will have bs degree when i apply, planning on taking oat soon.

I'm hoping to remain in california, so i'm pinning my hopes of scco cuz it's close to my house. I was just wondering if anyone has been accepted with a sub 3.0 gpa and what i could do to make my app look better
thanks so much!
 
I would advise you to start getting that GPA up as high as possible in these last few years of college you have left. If you plan to apply after your B.S., then that gives you a chance to start pulling the gpa up. Few people have been accepted with gpa's that low but it is possible. You might want to calculate your prerequisite gpa for the schools you wish to apply to and see how that comes out. I am in a similar position as you and am still trying to make up for my first year of college. It is apparent that the progression of your grades will be a large factor as an upward trend is tremendously better than a downward trend or even just constant gpa of 2.6.

Your extracurriculars show that you have other commitments and other interests. I would suggest, however, that you begin getting considerable optometry experience for a strong letter of recommendation as well as knowledge about the field (focus on learning what its like as an optometrist rather than just technical/medical stuff). Try to find an internship that you can stay at for at least a few months. In that case, just try to find another office or mode of practice (hospital, private, corporate) to see another perspective. You don't have to work 30 hours a week at two different places at the same time and still carry on all your other commitments. I think the main thing is to just get enough experience in the next one or two years to really show that you know what you're getting yourself into. Be prepared to explain your gpa honestly but confidently in a way that proves you are committed and competent to succeed in optometry school. Also, it may be early for this as well, but it would be wise to prepare for the question "why not pharmacy?" because of your extensive experience in that path.

If your school has a pre-optometry club, consider paying a visit to some of their meetings and check up on their events as they may prove to be a valuable resource in learning about the whole application process, as well as keep you on track (motivationally).

SCCO's applicant pool has been increasingly qualified and I was told that last year they had so many applicants they simply could not consider any applicants with lower than a 3.0. Now, that's not to say that you can't apply, but it seems ever more competitive so you really must show how can excel despite your early grades.

I hope this isn't too discouraging, but this advice is give with all honesty (tryin'a keep it real). You have much improvement to make but I think that if you are committed enough, you can be a competitive applicant. I also wouldn't place all glory in SCCO. There are many other great institutions to get your O.D. from. Hell, I'm trying to get away from home (15 minutes away from SCCO).

I'm dealing with the same uphill race but the support from the forum members and my peers at school, as well as the impetus with which I have thrust myself into all things optometry, has kept me going.

So, remember to get involved, get good grades, study hardcore for the OAT, and get committed. 👍



PS. Wish me luck with this round of applications. My transcript needs it.
 
thank u so much for your help. I appreciate it your words of encouragement. I wish you the best of luck in your application process.