Africa and Middle East New to Israel Schools

Started by SF83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SF83

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi evryone,

I just got my April MCAT scores and got a 26 (this was my second time taking it...first time i got a 25). I do not know much about israeli medical schools but know a bit about Ben Gurion/ Columbia and Sackler. What is the third school everyone keeps referring to?

Also, I read that the Ben Gurion is easier to get into then Sackler...How competitive is sackler? I was under the imprression Ben Gurion accepts only 30 ppl and was more competitive because of its affiliation with Columbia. Do you think my MCAT scores will be a big factor against me (as i am afraid they will be)?

Thanks so much for your help! 😀
 
With a score of 26 you should also consider DO programs. The third medical school in Israel is the Technion American Program. I have several friends who applied to both Sackler and BGU and found that bc their ps wasn't too convincing regarding their passion for global health, BGU didnt accept them. BGU is really looking for serious students who actaully want to persue international health, not just become physicians. The technion website is http://teams.technion.ac.il/ and then just find the american program. Good luck!
 
SF83 said:
Hi evryone,

I just got my April MCAT scores and got a 26 (this was my second time taking it...first time i got a 25). I do not know much about israeli medical schools but know a bit about Ben Gurion/ Columbia and Sackler. What is the third school everyone keeps referring to?

Also, I read that the Ben Gurion is easier to get into then Sackler...How competitive is sackler? I was under the imprression Ben Gurion accepts only 30 ppl and was more competitive because of its affiliation with Columbia. Do you think my MCAT scores will be a big factor against me (as i am afraid they will be)?

Thanks so much for your help! 😀

Hi.....

First of all, wellcome in Sackler....... I'm a student there.. but in the Israeli program!!.. if you want to know more about sackler and Tel-Aviv university, you can visit the TAU website at: www.tau.ac.il

good luck...
 
I understand that the application process to medical school is very competitive in the US and many highly qualified and compassionate students get turned away each year frequently due to shear volume - I just completed the process this past Winter/Spring. Although Sackler and Technion are modeled after standard US programs (and have been noted for accepting students with less competitive MCAT scores), the Ben Gurion University program is particularly unique for its focus on global health. BGU is NOT a school that one applies to on second thought because the chances of getting into a US school are narrow. BGU is a program that creates physicians who are in tune with global health needs, demonstrate the greatest altruistic qualities, and understand that beyond the science of medicine lies an intricate network of social, economic, and psychologic constructs that contribute to illnesses in destitute populations. BGU students understand the value of family & community health and have applied to the school because their interests in medicine lie beyond just wanting to "help people." Yes, the program accepts a maximum of 50 students, but the school will not hesitate to come significantly short of that maximum if the applicant pool does not demonstrate a sincere interest in global health disparities. You will likely never find a graduate of BGU working as a dermatologist, rheumatologist, or radiologist because they feel the most needed and most rewarding practice begins at the primarly level.

As you may have inferred, I am going to be a 1st year student at Ben Gurion University School for International Health this Fall. Please don't take what I have said personally. I just feel that it's important to make future applicants are aware that BGU is not the backdoor to a medical degree. The school was founded by Columbia & BGU because they had a keen vision that in a world that is becoming more globalized we need more physicians that understand the dynamics and delicate cultral issues of global medicine.
Good Luck!!