New to Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUPharmacy2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All
I am relatively new to the Pre-Pharmacy field. I am switching over from Pre-Dental to Pre-Pharmacy. I have quite a few questions and would appreciate the utmost honesty from anyone that decides to reply to this. Also, if you aren't going to be HELPFUL and just rip me a new one, please do me a favor and don't even bother replying to this.
Background
I am currently a Master's Student in Pharmacology and Toxicology at Michigan State University. I did my undergrad at MSU as well.
My science GPA is 2.41
My non-science is 3.54
Total - 2.81
My current GPA in Grad School is 3.5 (This doesn't include 3 classes I have to retake because I wasn't able to drop them early enough).
Since I recently switched, I currently have no shadowing/work experience in the Pharmacy field but do have two mission/volunteer trips that were medically related I could list, along with numerous volunteer activities (I shadowed 13 Dentists/Specialities when I was Pre-Dental, I will more then likely not list these). Also, I have had numerous jobs since I have been in college. Never been unemployed.

The following questions I hope to have answered:
1. Top 5 schools to shoot for gaining admission into
2. Top 5 "back-up" schools
3. Schools that weigh PCAT heavier then anything else.
4. Best PCAT study strategy (I have looked at various threads, purchased the PCAT study guide, currently own the Kaplan Blue Book and have the DAT Destroyer). I will have this entire semester to study (8 credits of Master's classes as well). I am looking to be productive for 10-20 hours of study a week.
5. Any pointers on the PCAT vocabulary?
6. Best private schools ( please provide reasoning behind your opinion)
7. Schools you think I would have a pretty good shot at getting into (Based on the presumption I am in the 80% and up on the PCAT).
8. Application tips (include dates and try to be precise as possible)
9. Any more advice you deem wise to pass onto me.

Again, let's try to keep this civil and helpful not only to me but to everyone else as well.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

One more question, are you able to go to Pharmacy school outside of the US and then test back into the US without any major issues? (Probably a dumb question I know, but you all would know better than myself)

1. This is based on my personal experience, goal and research. This will be different depend on what your goal is. UCSF, University of Michigan, Washington University, University of Hawaii, UCSD
2. new pharmacy schools
3. Don't know about this one, but I prefer schools that look at my whole application equally.
4. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754083 (if you haven't check this out). I had a friend with DAT destroyer, and I think the stuff in there is sufficient for PCAT preparation.
5. see #4
6. Don't know about this one
7. You have an improved GPA of 3.5 in graduate school. With 80% PCAT, you should be able to get interview invites. I would be worried about your lack of pharmacy shadowing/volunteering experience. School will like to know why you switch from dental to pharmacy. Having experience in pharmacy will show them that you actually took time to research about pharmacy profession before making the decision to switch over.
8. Apply early. The earlier the better chance you will have. Turn in your pharmcas application the moment it is open for students, then your supplemental. You can start writing personal statement and supplemental essay even before new application cycle starts. Get good LOR, and a lot of volunteering and comunity service related to pharmacy. Get leadership experience if you haven't.
9. Contact school of your choice, and start asking questions. Be active and resourceful. Don't be afriad to ask question on SDN, you seem a bit nervous. Most people here at SDN are nice and helpful =]

Members don't see this ad :)
This forum is a great resource, but I truly believe that you should take the time and effort to look for these answers yourself. The answers are definitely out there.

Thanks for the replies...I have been looking around. I suppose I am more looking for advice on schools that would be wise to apply to. I want to be able to get in somewhere the first time I apply and keep the # of applications to a minimum...money is starting to get tight (I know I know).

Most of the information you are looking for really depends on you.
1. Top 5 schools that you should apply to -- you have to decide this. If you want to stay near Michigan, that will skew your choices. If you want to get away to one of the coasts, that will skew your choices. You have to decide which programs look best to you -- what you want to focus on and what is important to you.
2. Top 5 schools that are easy to get into -- none. But as another responder said, new schools are looking for students. However, be cautioned that they do not always work out in your favor and look into them carefully before you decide to even apply.
3. I wouldn't put all your eggs in your PCAT basket. You are unique because you are doing a masters program and wanted to go dental but changed your mind. Make sure that pharmacy schools know WHY you changed your mind and that you have information to back up your decision. The quantity of pharmacists you shadow does not matter, however the quality does. Shadow pharmacists in retail and hospital settings. If you can get work as a technician, that would be even better. Know why you want pharmacy and why pharmacy over dental. Using these unique perspectives, you do not need somewhere that weighs heavily PCAT. Plus, they all look into everything you do and will be impressed with you.
4. I just used a study book. It sounds like you have the right ideas. The most difficult part for me was the A&P section on biology because I hadn't taken either of those classes yet. As long as you've taken the classes and go through study books, you should be fine. My other recommendation is that you use PCAT question of the day. I got it through my iGoogle account, but you may be able to get it emailed to you, I'm not sure.
5. PRACTICE and get acquainted with as many words as you possibly can. Learn how words are related to each other for example know that whispering is quiet talking.
6&7. Again, these are totally up to you and your preferences. Do some research so that you can tailor the schools to what you want and have done.
8. Apply early -- PharmCAS comes out in the beginning of June. Start right away. Send your transcript requests as soon as possible. It takes time for these requests to be sent out, for PharmCAS to receive your transcripts, and for them to verify, so it is a good idea to get started right away. In the beginning of May, ask professors who you want to write letters of recommendation (and make sure that you have enough but not too many based on what the schools you choose to apply to want). That way when you send them requests through PharmCAS in June they are not blindsided by the fact that you are asking and may even have a draft completed. The other thing to do right away is begin working on your personal statement. It seems like a daunting task and was the least fun part for me, but it is important that you get multiple people to look at it so that it is the best it can be. I'd say try to submit your PharmCAS by September and October at the latest. You want time to be able to do your supplemental applications. The reason to turn your applications in early is for the schools with rolling admission so you get an opportunity to be one of the first interviewed and all the spots are still available for you. Also, if you happen to be denied, you can still apply to other schools in the same application cycle. Do your supplemental applications as soon as you receive them, but again make sure to get multiple viewpoints on any essays you have to write.
9. If you don't know where to start looking at all the different choices of schools, the PharmCAS website has a list of all the schools with their information. Make sure that you have all the prerequisite classes completed for all of the schools you are applying to because this may change your decision. I know you want to save money by applying to schools you think are easy to get into, but I think it is worth it to try for reach schools if they are your top choices because they will make you happier in the end. I interviewed at 3 schools -- one I considered a for sure, one I was pretty confident about, and a Reach school. It paid off and I surprised myself by getting into my reach school. You may surprise yourself too. Just keep working hard and it sounds like you are on the right track. Just research schools so you can decide what you want in a program. Best of luck!

Thanks again for the responses.

Pink - How exactly would you define a "quality" shadowing experience? i.e. # of hours, their position, school they went to etc...
How much A&P is on the PCAT?
Also, I am planning on taking the PCAT in July, do they give you scores right then that you can submit to schools, unofficial or otherwise? I think that would greatly determine where I would apply.

By quality I mean what you get out of it. As long as you shadow a pharmacist (or two) and experience what they do and KNOW that is what you want to do, pharmacy schools are going to see that you're confident about your choice. For example, you could talk about shadowing so many dentists trying to find what you wanted to do, but after shadowing only one or two pharmacists you knew pharmacy was the right place for you. Schools want to know that you are committed to pharmacy and are not going to change your mind after the first year.

On the PCAT I took, I thought there was a fair amount of A&P, but maybe that is because those were the questions I did not know. It's mostly basic stuff and review books go over what you need to know, but I still definitely wish I had taken A&P before the PCAT, but it all worked out fine.

They give you a print out of your score at the testing facility, so you know how well you did right away. However, the official scores do not get submitted to PharmCAS until about the middle of August or so. Don't submit anything to the school that's not PharmCAS unless the school explicitly tells you to. Most schools want PCAT, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and everything else through PharmCAS. It's also a good way to get yourself organized so you don't have to send stuff 300 times (I am clearly exaggerating here). The supplemental will go straight to the school, but up until that point everything goes to PharmCAS. Your official PCAT scores should show up received on PharmCAS by September at the latest. Most schools do not start looking at applications until then anyway, so you should be golden.

It's also a good way to get yourself organized so you don't have to send stuff 300 times (I am clearly exaggerating here).

:laugh: Y'know, with the number of times I've had to send transcripts different places during this process, I don't think you're exaggerating that much......

I apologize that I TL'DR'd this thread, but one thing I picked out of pink's advice is to take the July PCATs. I completely agree. It makes everything so much smoother. Plus, if you have to retake, you still have September and you'll be in decent shape. (Man, I seem to be posting that advice everywhere these days, but it's totally true.)

ETA: OP, why are you changing from dental to pharmacy?

Don't submit anything to the school that's not PharmCAS unless the school explicitly tells you to. Most schools want PCAT, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and everything else through PharmCAS. It's also a good way to get yourself organized so you don't have to send stuff 300 times (I am clearly exaggerating here).

It is nice that Pharmcas makes it easier to apply to pharmacy school, but I would love to do it myself if it means saving myself $50 per school. meh, I'm just bitter I had to pay a third party to reach pharmacy school.

Thanks again for the advice. I am switching from Dental to Pharmacy because I realized I was following in my father's footsteps but wasn't really a very good fit for me besides working alongside him and having a job/patient base right when I finished school. I love the Pharmacy classes I took in undergrad and am taking right now. I think being a Pharmacist suits my lifestyle much more as well (more flexible hours, broader patient base, able to help people even away from the office, spend more time with my family and numerous other reasons).