New UNLV Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrd29

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The new UNLV Clinic is up and runnning now. I just got back from a tour of the building. It looks great. Very spacious with a nice layout.

It is a big day for UNLV, and especially for the first class, since this is a big part of the reason we chose to attend a new school.

I was really excited, and thought I would post.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sitting here right now, in the new building waiting for an orientation to start.

How do you like UNLV so far? My brother is applying there next cycle and it is his first choice. What are your favorite 3 things and least favorite 3 things about your experience so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bcat said:
How do you like UNLV so far? My brother is applying there next cycle and it is his first choice. What are your favorite 3 things and least favorite 3 things about your experience so far?

I'm totally happy I came to school here. Now that we are in the new building and out of the transitional spaces...I can really begin to see how this will become one of the premier dental schools in the country!

Things I like:
1) Faculty and administration are great and have a genuine desire to make this the best school there is for dental education.
2) The new facilities are state of the art...man, this place is beautiful.
3) Curriculum is innovative, great use of technology.
4) You just get an overall sense of community and not one of cutthroat competativeness. Pretty much everyone is totally willing to help each other out.
5) Clinical requirements are not based on a # of procedures done, but rather on competancy. I've thought about both methods and I think this is superior.

Things I don't like:
1) From what I can tell, the things I didn't like are in the past ie. the old transitional space. It made it hard to feel like I was in dental school. One day in the new clinic and that is taken care of.
2) Sometimes faculty seems too nice...I wouldn't mind them taking a harder stance on behavior sometimes.
3) Tuition seems high, but it really isn't when you consider we are getting the BEST of everything. I think the tuition is totally worth it.
4) Nothing else...this place is great!

Top:
1. Location-weather, my fam,
2. Faculty-the faculty are the cream of the crop IMHO (with a couple exceptions)
3. Educational Atmosphere-its exciting
4. Technology-thats why so many of us are becoming SDN'ers
5. Not having any upper class
6. Facility

Bottom:
1. Price- on the high end for public schools
2. Our intramural FB team gets killed by the law school every year
3. Being the guinea pigs (just the D2's, the D1's have it pretty good now)
4. First year, First semester for only the first class(professional studies)

Honestly, it is really easy to come up with positives and I have to think really hard to come up with negatives. If I had the choice to go to any dental school knowing what I know now (remember my fam is from here and I am a resident) I would still come here. I feel like I have gotten a quality education. I have had a better experience thus far than many of my friends and family at other schools.

Hold your horses, I haven't bought the new digital camera yet, but by the end of this week I may have some.

Wow! Really nice! The dental chairs by the big windows look so inviting.

Col, is that you in the picture with the goat-T?

Hey- Does anyone know if it's possible to visit these clinics and take a tour of the new building this summer? When I went on my interview we only saw the main campus, which is now irrelevant.
Thanks!

I would call the admissions office and arrange for a tour, I am sure they would be very helpful.

Or if you ask nicely OMS fan, or UNLVOMSWanabe would love to show you around.

hmm...i think a tour by students would be far more informative. I'm thinking of going to Las Vegas within the next month, will it still be open for touring and such? I'm only on the waitlist, but I'm guessing that they don't give one long to make a decision.