New USMLE req.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonem

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else heard anything about the new OSCE component to the USMLE step I? It sounds like they are planning to give the exam in only eight cities so most of us will have to travel to take it. Its also supposed to cost around $1500 (doesn't include airfare/hotel etc).

Members don't see this ad.

There's been talk about this for years. Currently IMGs are required to take such an exam (the CSA - Clinical Skills Assessment which costs around $1300 and is only offered in Philly) before obtaining their ECFMG certificate and the NBME has been seriously considering instituting the same for US students.

The best source of information on such an exam and if and when it will be implemented is the NBME - <a href="http://www.nbme.org" target="_blank">www.nbme.org</a> or usmle.org.

Hope this helps.

The NBME is planning on implementing a clinical skills exam component to the USMLE Step 2, probably in 2003. I don't know what OSCE stands for, but I believe that's what you're talking about?

Currently, there are around 10 medical schools that are participating in a pilot exam administered by the NBME so that they can work out all the details. I actually took that exam a couple of months ago, and I can see why it would cost so much money, although I didn't realize they would be charging med students for the extra costs (guess that makes sense...). It is a very labor-intensive exam, and they use a huge number of standardized patients who have been trained by the NBME.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our dean sent out a notice about that exam few weeks ago. Apparently students will be evaluated on 10 30-min. interviews with standardized patients. That notice estimated the price at about $1000 (as you said, though, not including travel expenses), but fortunately for M2s and up, it won't be instituted until 2004 so the class of 2005 will be the guinea pigs.

It's actually only 12 minutes per patient, and 7 minutes after each "patient encounter", as they call it, to answer questions. But, yes, it's a total of 10 patients, and they try to have at least one case from each major specialty -- medicine, surgery, psych, peds, etc.

I read yesterday that they expect to implement this new exam for the class of 2005 and beyond. As a member of the class of 2004, I hope that is true.

THE CSA BLOWS!!!!

I took it in June..What a colossal waste of time and money.

I attend a medical school that NBME is using as a test site for the standardized patient examinations. The exam consists of 10 standardized patients. You're allotted 25-30 minutes per patient (15-20 minutes for HX. and PE, Then 10 minutes for a SOAP note write-up). My institution actually uses this as a graduating requirement. The standardized patient exams are not realistic and the scoring system needs work. The exam is far from perfect. We are also taped while doing the examination.

That would be a monumental waste of time and resources. What an terrible decision!!