new version of personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zinjanthropus

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I put up a new personal statement on ERAS and the re-assign that new version to the programs I have applied to, will they automatically get the new version or do I need to contact the programs and let them know?

(worst run-on sentence ever......)

Members don't see this ad.

This question was addressed earlier this week in a different thread, but basically the conclusion was this: in the "track applications," if the program has already downloaded the original personal statement, then assigning a different one for that program won't make a difference. At best you could snail-mail them a hard copy and hope that they physically replace your old one. However, if a program has not yet downloaded your PS, then you can upload a new one, de-assign the original, and assign the new one to that program... then, even though to the applicant it will appear that the program has access to both PS's, when they go to download your PS they will get the most current version (whichever one you have checked off in that program's document assignment box). Hope that makes sense. You can search for that thread for more details, I think it was from like Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

As I understand it, if you upload a replacement PS, the next time that the program opens up to look at your info, it will automatically download the new one and replace it. The exception to this is if they have physically printed out a copy of the old one and from then on look at only the printout rather than the computer.

As said above, it might appear to you that there are two different versions available, but to the program there can be only one (Highlander . . . couldn't resist), so they shouldn't be able to tell that you changed it unless they actually read the first one right away (or printed it right away), which I doubt. So . . .my thought is that you would not need to contact them or mail any other version.

I am fairly confident that the programs automatically download updates, because stuff is downloaded pretty regularly and that many programs can't possibly be that diligent.

As I understand it, if you upload a replacement PS, the next time that the program opens up to look at your info, it will automatically download the new one and replace it. The exception to this is if they have physically printed out a copy of the old one and from then on look at only the printout rather than the computer.

As said above, it might appear to you that there are two different versions available, but to the program there can be only one (Highlander . . . couldn't resist), so they shouldn't be able to tell that you changed it unless they actually read the first one right away (or printed it right away), which I doubt. So . . .my thought is that you would not need to contact them or mail any other version.

I am fairly confident that the programs automatically download updates, because stuff is downloaded pretty regularly and that many programs can't possibly be that diligent.

thanks - i asked my student affairs office the same question and i got the answer you just gave...so, unless a place has already printed out the old version, you should be okay with uploading a new statement...