New web site of interest...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone...I am the National Liaison Officer for the KCOM chapter of SOMA. We are launching a student-driven Osteopathic awareness campaign directed at the lay-public. As a part of this, we have created a web page www.bodyisaunit.com

Please drop by and check it out.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Members don't see this ad.

Dave,

While I applaud your effort in creating a website of this kind, I must say that the design and presentation of this webiste is poor. I hope to not offend anyone, but if your goals include those of presnting osteopathic medicine to those in the general public, design and presentaion should be just as important, if not more important than the actual content contained. I am viewing the website with Netscape 4.73 and the text of the website looks very scrambled with no indentation with paragraphs, your scrolling text appears as a jumbled paragraph with Netscape 4.73 which makes the website a difficult read. Your keywords, metatags, whatever are also visable to your visitors at the bottom of the page. And if you intend on using frames, you should at least change the percentage values for each frame to avoid the vertical and horizontal scroll bars which take up a large portion of your page. Your tour of osteopathic medicine opens frames inside of frames, inside of frames, which makes your page look very disorginized and hard to read(at this point I had changed browsers to IE). You can not ignore when designing a webpage that there are TWO browsers that are widely accepted, and if using DHTML, frames, Java Script or even some basic tags, that your website will be viewed differently with the another browser. Netscape has somewhere between 40-60% of the market, and by ignoring this browser(no redirect based on browser type) your website is either not viewed, or viewed very differently by 40-60% of the "lay-people". Once gain I applaud your idea and hope that I did not offend.

Old Man Dave,
I think your website is a great start, especially since it is the first site any of you guys have ever tried to put together. I know through your work it will only continue to improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW Rolltide, we FINALLY agree on something.

Sorry, Dave, but I agree with Rolltide. It's a great idea, but site design is weak. The frame in frame thing drives me nuts (turn off the outline feature perhaps?). I won't even talk about the colors. Some of the powerpoints are hard to read, and I never really felt like I was getting a clear message about something while I was in the tour. For that matter I never really felt like I knew what I was doing there through the whole site. It lacks a cohesive message. What do you want people to come away with? It is a great idea, though. On the up side, I really liked the "body as a unit graphic", and it looks like you have a good start on solid content. I wish you luck with your progress.

Hey guys...thanks for the input. As Hskermdic pointed out...this is our first attempt at web page design/assembly. We never even thought about different needs for the 2 primary browsers...we just assumed if it worked for one of them, it would for the other as well.

The powerpoint thingy was given to us by the AOA. It is their official unity campaign-related propaganda piece that they want SOMA & UAAO to use to educate the public. We only used excerpts...with the AOA's permission, of course!

We have also hired someone who is a web developer to tweak/improve our page. Feel free to keep the commentary running!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited 07-30-2000).]