New years resolution for US Medical Students

Started by oldpro
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My proposed New Years resolution is to ask the US medical students to Give us in the Caribbean on the forum a break and not to pick on Caribbean schools and students.

Post whats true
Post whats verifiable
Post what is Fact
Post opinion and let everyone know its Your opinion not fact

If a Caribbean student posts then it is jumped on and made to look like we are stupid or not telling the truth many times

I have tried to only post what I know to be true and Factual

I have posted many times and used IMO or IMHO meaning in my opinion.

I know through the years I have understood something wrong and I concede that point and I learn new things as everyone else.

A real debate is not an argument but a search for the truth. Debating is always encouraged.


So Happy New year.
 
New Years' Resolutions for Caribbean Medical Students:

- Do not ignore published facts by reputable agencies and organizations simply because you don't like those facts

- Do not try to twist the numbers that are published by reputable agencies and organizations simply because you're in denial

- Do not pass off hearsay and anecdote as universal truth

- Respect other people's opinions even if they're different than yours

- Respect other people's opinions about your opinion even when you don't agree with their opinion

- Accept it when you lose an argument or you were simply wrong about something

- Respect the knowledge and experience of those that are ahead of you in medical school and are more knowledgeable about real-life situations in the US
 
I'm curious if current Caribbean grads agree with the assessments on the thread regarding new medical schools. Namely, do you believe that with the rise in enrollment in existing MD schools of 30% combined with the 34 new (and rising) medical schools (both MD and DO) in the US, that Caribbean schools will be severely hurting for applicants in 5-10 years, driving tuition sky-high and shutting down all but the Big 3? Furthermore, will Caribbean students and other IMG's be the first to lose out on residency spots unless the 1997 caps are raised?

Thoughts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
New Years' Resolutions for Caribbean Medical Students:

- Do not ignore published facts by reputable agencies and organizations simply because you don't like those facts

- Do not try to twist the numbers that are published by reputable agencies and organizations simply because you're in denial

- Do not pass off hearsay and anecdote as universal truth

- Respect other people's opinions even if they're different than yours

- Respect other people's opinions about your opinion even when you don't agree with their opinion

- Accept it when you lose an argument or you were simply wrong about something

- Respect the knowledge and experience of those that are ahead of you in medical school and are more knowledgeable about real-life situations in the US
Yes I agree with you. The schools do twist things at times I have caught them doing it.

I do want to say just because you may be a year ahead of me at my age and time in Medicine I do have a lot of Life experience in Medicine as well and may even know things a 4th year medical student at the age of 27-30 may not know (I'm 43 with 19 years in medicine, yes most as an RN )

Like I said I'm more then willing to admit when wrong.
 
Oldpro, your post is great. I think a good New Years resolution for anyone in general is to be less argumentative and more solutions-oriented instead.
 
Oldpro, your post is great. I think a good New Years resolution for anyone in general is to be less argumentative and more solutions-oriented instead.

Thanks but I'm guilty of sarcasm and fighting at times

Debating is what we should be doing and discussing the issues

So I agree that there are usually two points of view and we should be mature (Even at 43 I'm a child at times LOL)