New York City employed jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nexus73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a general sense about what opportunities exist in New York City for employed psychiatry jobs, inpatient, outpatient, or otherwise? Any ideas about workload for full time job compared to other places, average salary, or wRVU rate? Is getting an employed job competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Endless jobs in all kinds of different enviornment. Workload/average salary, etc. are highly variable. Some employed jobs can be competitive, but not for reasons you might think. (i.e. academic jobs are often competitive, but they pay the least).

Salary comparable to the national average.

Best jobs in New York City though are not employed jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
The NYC salary being comparable to the national average sounds...really bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The NYC salary being comparable to the national average sounds...really bad.

Why, usually NYC salary is LOWER than the national average in most spcialties.

Of note, the variance of NYC total income is definitely higher than the national average.

Any idea of range for typical salary for full time employed job? I’m currently in a smaller city and psych is pretty much getting 260-300 for full time. Is New York going to be like 180?

I moved out of nyc 1.5 years ago. 190-220 was the range for state/academic in Manhattan. Private hospitals and those in Long Island paid mid to high 200s. Private practice numbers are higher

Any idea of range for typical salary for full time employed job? I’m currently in a smaller city and psych is pretty much getting 260-300 for full time. Is New York going to be like 180?

No. NYC number comparable.

I moved out of nyc 1.5 years ago. 190-220 was the range for state/academic in Manhattan. Private hospitals and those in Long Island paid mid to high 200s. Private practice numbers are higher

There's been some movement on the academic salary. 250k is feasible.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it competitive to get into these jobs, like inpatient positions atnon-academic hospitals? Where I'm at we're at the point of hiring anyone with board eligibility and a pulse, and crossing our fingers they don't have too many personality problems.

Last edited:
Is it competitive to get into these jobs, like inpatient positions are non-academic hospitals? Where I'm at we're at the point of hiring anyone with board eligibility and a pulse, and crossing our fingers they don't have too many personality problems.

No. I don't think it's particularly competitive. That being said, it doesn't mean that anyone is guaranteed to get any opening. These jobs are also typically unattractive enough that they have a high turnover.

NY Health & Hospitals offered me 180 for an outpatient job, which I found frankly insulting. I turned that down and accepted 250 from an FQHC clinic, outpatient 9-5, no call, no weekends, etc etc.

A private clinic I moonlight with offered me 230.

You might get offered a low ball <200 offer but don't accept it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user