New York City Programs that are DO friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

microscopegal

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am a 3rd year DO student getting ready for the upcoming application season (or at least trying to get ready for it). I was curious if anyone knew which Neurology programs in NYC are DO friendly (or more importantly, DO unfriendly). I am a competitive applicant with publications, good grades, volunteer experience and stellar USMLE scores, but I am a little worried the whole 'DO' thing holding me back. I will most likely apply to all of the NYC programs regardless, but any insight would be great! Thanks 🙂
 
Hello! I am a 3rd year DO student getting ready for the upcoming application season (or at least trying to get ready for it). I was curious if anyone knew which Neurology programs in NYC are DO friendly (or more importantly, DO unfriendly). I am a competitive applicant with publications, good grades, volunteer experience and stellar USMLE scores, but I am a little worried the whole 'DO' thing holding me back. I will most likely apply to all of the NYC programs regardless, but any insight would be great! Thanks 🙂

I'm just a M2 but I've looked into this. I don't think there is A DO at any of the bigger names. SUNY-Downstate has a few. Shouldn't stop you from applying though.
 
Yeah, I'd give a shot at all of them since a DO matching at a name institution is not unheard of in neurology.

In terms of programs that are known to be DO-friendly: In Manhattan proper, Beth Israel's program is DO-friendly. In the outer boroughs, SUNY Downstate is your best bet. Expanding outwards, North Shore and SBU have matched DOs. I'm not too sure about the upstate programs.