New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick213

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying that I’m new to this site, and I hope that my question is not inappropriate. I’m want to get some feedback from you folks on where to rank New York Medical College Westchester (Categorical) program on my list. On one hand, it seems to be a fairly functional university-based program. On the other hand, however, the feedback from NY Med students that I met while interviewing was not very encouraging. Also, some of the people in the program seemed unhappy during my visit. What’s the word on the street on New York Med?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a solid program. They see every kind of pathology and really don't have any holes in any of their divisions. Savino is tough, but I think he's fair and he really seems to care about the residents. They are really the only people in the area with the closest places being Yale and Albany. They are particularly strong in Trauma/Critical care and MIS. There is also the new Children's hospital and new trauma center. Hope this helps.

only people in the area?? Westchester is barely a half hour from Manhattan and its powerhouse programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's more like 45 min and relatively it is the only place. Anything north of the City is not going to be sent down to the city. They don't compete with Manhattan for their cases.

The hospitals in Manhattan, Bronx, Queens have their own coverage area. NYMC (Westchester Med Ctr) covers the area approx 30 miles N of manhattan up to Albany border, the eastern-most tip of PA, and western part of CT (approx 3.6 million people as of 2004). I agree, they seem to see every pathology imaginable, and fly people in from a large area of NY and elsewhere (it's the ONLY certified level 1 trauma that includes both peds and adult in the state of NY...also 2 STAT flight helicopters). If you make it through the program, you should be well prepared for private practice or fellowships. They're also one of 4 transplant centers in NY, but I don't think they currently do heart, although a new suite is being bulit to start it up again? They're known for their trauma/critical care (they have fellowship there...I heard that at least one chief is going to Hopkins for TCC. I think they also now have a laparoscopic fellowship...have to check. The new childrens hospital also houses the adult ER in a separate wing, which was really nice. The chairman Dr Savino is intimidating, but tough for a reason like many other chairman...but he's known to make the phone calls to get people places. If you like the suburbs (Westchester is quite nice and affluent county, actually 2nd most affluent county in the US according the most recent US census), maybe this is for you as the program seem to be stable, although going through many changes, and will make you a good surgeon.

Just wanted to thank everyone that replied to my post. New York Med does have a laparoscopic fellowship and one of the graduating chiefs got accepted this year. They are a major academic center and do see a lot of cases. I am somewhat concerned that the hospital has financial problems. In addition, one of the chiefs did not match into plastics this year. Anyway, thanks guys. If you can think of anything else, drop me a line. Hope that the match works out well for all of us.

A chief not matching into plastics is hardly a reason to write a place off. As I understand it, plastics is extremely competitive so it hardly means the training their is poor b/c he/she didn't get in. Best of luck!

I recently checked their website and found that financial stability is closer to goal...plus it would be extremely unlikely the only level 1 academic county hospital in the region serving 7 counties will close...it just won't happen. Yeah...plastics is competitive overall...if you liked the program and the basics of what you're looking for is there, I wouldn't hesitate to rank it. Also remember that which ever program you end up going to, you have to put in the work to get a competitive fellowship...the program at which you train alone will not get you into fellowships of your choice.

Can any of you comment on the faculty and residents? What are cons in this program?