New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shareesh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel that we have no thread on New York Medical College's basic medical master's program…so here it is!!

Have any of you guys heard anything about NYMCs success rate? Is it a very difficult program? It seems as though many of you applied to Georgetown, BU, etc...but not many of you applied to NYMC...was there a reason?

I was just accepted this morning!! Anyone else going to be going this coming fall?

Any suggestions about housing, need a roommate, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I got in last saturday to the biochemistry and molecular biology program and might switch to the pharmacology program for various reasons... I think the best thing to do to get info is to call your program director and ask them various questions about the program. I am going to talk to one of the current students for housing ideas (cheapest, closest, safest) I live 60 miles north so I might be taking the train : ( daily...
congratulations on getting in!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe so yes, the credits you take can be applied towards a phd which is nice since from the program you can follow several different paths (straight to work, to medical school, to graduate school, to get a mdphd, and probably some other path.)

Hey guys,

Yea...I was accepted to the basic medical science. New York Medical College is a small college 25 miles from New York City. Their medical school, public health, and graduate school are all situated next to each other. The medical school has about 160 students, and the other two have a total of 200? (i think this is what the admissions told me). I don't think u take classes alongside medical students--but you take it alongside PHD students. Each masters program has about 30 people--and I think there is a total of 6 programs. I think the basic medical science gears you towards medical school.

As for housing--i'm in a pickle :( They do have on-campus housing, but give preference to medical students, then phd, then masters. -- and since I applied late and was accepted 2 days ago, i have to consider off-campus housing. I requested a packet from housing...and looking through creig list. I would prefer roomming with other students from NYMC.

Are there any previous NYMC students with advice of if the program is good/bad? success rates to medical school? The enviroment/atomosphere social/inverted? how competitive it is? etc.

I may be looking for a roomate as well. I have to take the MCATS on the 19th and registration is something like the 21st... I called the school who said that they have a student intern working to gather emails of people who dont yet have an apt. in hopes to share apt's to lesson the cost. I just searched for a couple hours online without finding anything reasonablly priced, I dont know what im going to do maybe ill go down there to pick up a pennysaver look through some newspapers and search for an apt. If your interested in sharing an apt pm me or call - Marge Riley http://www.nymc.edu/gsbms/staff.asp who will give your email off to the student intern.

Hey Marge!
How is everything? I just called Candy, from student housing, and left my information. They said that there is no one else on the list looking for roommates. I did find 2bedroom 2bathroom for $1800 on creigs list. I also found 3 bedroom and 4 bedroom ones as well. I won't be having a car--so i hope to look for roomming as close to the campus as possible. I would prefer to live with other students going to NYMC (med/phd/or masters) because i'm sure we can motivate one another--and...i think it will be an easier adjustment if we do. :) Candy told me she'll mail me information about off-campus housing. do u have the packet--is it helpful? Why are u choosing biochem route and not basic medical science? I thought that basic medical science is more for people who are planning a career in medicine. did you apply to bu or any other masters? it's so nice to meet someone else going to nymc!!!!

I posted on the UMDNJ thread that I will attend UMDNJ's masters program, but I just got accepted to NYMC and will probably go there instead.

Does anyone know the best way to get to NYMC by train from NYC?

Im sorry if my post was unclear (i was typing fast)... Im not Marge Riley, although I found that she was incredibly helpful and had some great suggestions. Ill be going to the school to look for apartments

did you try to search http://www.thejournalnews.com/apartments (westchester county) it seems that they are all relatively expensive but the worst thing is that they seem to be more then a couple miles from campus and I dont want to bring my car down unless its absolutely necessary. Hopefully Ill find something within a walking distance to the campus when I go. Most likely I will need a roomate or two as well. With this in mind I will most likely look for all types of apartments with the condition of proximity to the college and post what I find out. (Im planning on going this monday)

I havent received any off campus housing packet, I feel that it doesnt matter what program you enter (im switching to pharmacology) except that ultimately the credits you take can be used in the future towards a phd. So im just expanding my options so I can either enter the workforce, medschool, graduate school, or possibly both med and grad school when I finish. so basically, im covering my ends. It is possible to switch to any of the masters programs you want to, as long as your directors agree on your decision.This is the only masters program I applied to.

to get there by train you probably want to go
1 on the metro north train (harlem line) from grand central to valhalla
http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm (blue line)
the schedule can be found here
http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/schedules.htm (under
harlem line)
2 and you should be let off here
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1 Cle...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wl

3 from there its 3.5 miles http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...veland+Street,+valhalla+ny+10595&ie=UTF8&om=1
youll probably need to call a taxi to get to the school, either research this ahead of time or call the 1800free411 number

I have done about 2 hours research :) and have found some really good apts ranging from 2 - 4 bedrooms w/ 1-2 bathrooms apartments.

Pros:
1.2 miles to 6 miles from campus
close to trains/buses
parking included

Con:
unfurnished
utilities not included

prices range from $625-$825 based on having your own room.

I am looking at the 3-4 people sharing a 3-4 bedroom apt which is 1.2 miles from campus and would be $625 per person.

as you can see I am looking for roommates :) I'm female from cali--post if any of you guys are interested :)

ps i did my research using various search engines.
pss i haven't recieved the housing packet i requested. how do people feel about the option of living with a family?

Hi all!

I just got accepted to NYMC about an hour ago via telephone! :) I'm very excited...just wondering if anyone knows a little more information about the program. What's the success rate? Do they have any sort of preferential acceptance for their SMP students?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently (yesterday) travelled to white plains/valhalla and found some very interesting things out about the college and apartments around the area.

- First off there a few towns near the college, valhalla which has a great number of very large cemetaries that make up the town. Tarrytown, which is a city to the west of the school. Elmsford, which is a small town to the south of the school between the school and white plains. I believe this is some important information for those who are searching the internet for apts in valhalla only (valhalla isnt really that big from what I saw and youll probably have better luck looking into these towns), also the metro north train runs two lines parallel within about 10 miles directly up and down new york. the closer is called the harlem line with trips to grand central taking about 35-40 min. Its almost impossible to live farther then a 30 min walk from the train stations.

- For those who dont want to drive/wont have a car these places are not the best options, since the http://www.westchestergov.com/beelinebus/
(westchester beeline bus - which costs 75 dollars per month for an unlimited pass) only goes through specific streets. If you are searching near those towns make sure that you specify that there has to be access to a bus stop within walking distance. It might be a good idea to try to find an apt near north white plains since there are busses almost everywhere and the most youd have to do is a one bus transfer. I also called the bus service and found that the bus that would go from the bus terminal at north white plains through valhalla and to the medical school runs once every hour. Taking the bus from north white plains to the school would take 30 - 40 min from the westchester mall to the school, which equates to 10-15 min drive.

-rent seems expensive for that part of new york, a studio in white plains avgs about 1000 dollars a month, and in valhalla and tarrytown you can find some near 750 but again the locations need to be near a bus stop if you dont have a car. I recieved a call today from a real estate agent who basically laughed when I asked him if I didnt need a car for a 900 dollar studio in the town of hawthorn (north of valhalla) finding roomates can greatly decrease this cost from 600-800 dollars per person. I need a roomate...

There are alot of schools that are around the same area (within 10 -15 miles) pace university, suny purchase, and the medical school. For those of you who like either a nice social night life (by which I mean bars frequented by the 'college kids') or the convenience of nearby malls and every kind of store (which means easy access to potential jobs) white plains is the city. Theres even a very large carpeted mall (westchester mall) that has every (expensive) store you could possibly want (louis vuitton / lacoste) its a very nice mall. I dont know much about the sites at the other cities except that valhalla has a nice dam with an adjacent park (its very peacefull)

For those who would like to look at other options I suggest looking into talking with real estate agents The most important part about contacting a real estate agency to look for apts is that you will be paying a commision (usually in the amt of the first months rent) to the agent for using his service. These fees are just a one time fee, and is seperate from the amt you owe your landlord. The other problem for some if not most is location, if you live florida you obviosly wouldnt be able to come to ny to look at houses and apts for rent, and one of the biggest problems is that landlords wont give a tenent they have never met in person an apt. I have found that if you offer to give the first 6 months rent ahead of time landlords usualy feel better about it. however thats alot of money.

In fact, with the help of my real esate agent guy, I found an amazing house (3 bdrms, fire place, living room, wood floors, washer dryer, basement, patio, lawn with trees, completely fenced in, 2 car garage, 2 car driveway, 4 car sidewalk parking) for rent in white plains for 2000 dollars a month, If anybody is interested please email me immediately ([email protected]) since it will most likely be taken within 2 to 3 days. It is located next to one of the main streets of white plains, and is amazingly close to the mall, bars, shops, the 15 movie megaplex that is being built and 2 blocks from the new trump towers building. Its a five min walk to the bus stop which would take a max of 40 min to get to the school (beeline bus # 60 to the bus station to bee line bus #14 to the college) I may bring a car
and wouldnt rule out car pooling (i'm most likely going to leave in the morning and come back late at night, studying is a priority)

On my way back, I managed to pick up both a pennysaver and the local newspaper, and will create another post that has all the information from these publications written verbatim. I also took some pictures and will provide links in the next post. I have to study for my MCAT so I may be on this forum irregularly.

congratsss :) Are you admitted for their basic medical science masters program—or for their other masters program?

Call candy from housing to get the housing packet :) I’m currently homeless and so are many others. I want to live with people in the program—I think it would be great to not only bond and form a family—but to study together and all excel in the program.

Call marge to get you on the student mailing list serve to meet other students.

I talked to the school and they said many of their students get accepted into medical school and many end up at NYMC for medical school.

congrats once again!! :)

kmal20--thank you for all your information!! you are amazing!! it was reallll helpfulll :) good luck studying k :)

hello everyone, i'm not sure if i will be attending nymc yet, but if i am, i would love to look for housing with a roomate (female preferred)...pm me if anyone is interested!

hey you! :) i'm looking for a roommate too. i recieved the housing packet today--and though it would be nice to have a furnished room--i would prefer living with people in the program. i'm female looking for a roommate as well.

why won't you be attending nymc anymore? my deliemma is choosing between bu and nymc :(

i am very confused with which program i should attend:bu or nymc. please tell me what you guys know about each --the pros and cons (stories from previous students, present students, word of mouth—whatever). Specifically: the number of individuals that are accepted to medical school, how competitive/rigorous the program is, student body—diversity, 1 vs. 2 year program, etc.

thanks.

shareesh said:
hey you! :) i'm looking for a roommate too. i recieved the housing packet today--and though it would be nice to have a furnished room--i would prefer living with people in the program. i'm female looking for a roommate as well.

why won't you be attending nymc anymore? my deliemma is choosing between bu and nymc :(

Well, simply because its very far from home. I'm in Cali right now and it's going to be a huge move for me, plus loans, etc. i just mailed in the postcard saying that i'm accepting the admission, so as of now i guess i'm going hehe. :laugh: i would love to live with people in the program also and if its a furnished apartment, that would be even better (it would be such a pain having to purchase all new furniture)!

i'm on waitlist at bu and given the choice i'm really not sure which program i would attend. a pro for nymc, i like the student/faculty ratios. i think its a much smaller program than bu, which would mean potentially better letters and more interaction with the faculty. plus one of the advisors told me that all the classes are taught by the same faculty as the medical school classes, which is also an added bonus.

I just got admitted into the basic med science program at NYMC today. Does it have a good rep? I am also a little confused as to what courses we take. Do we choose a concentration and just follow that?

Also, is there any reason why I should choose this program over MedUOhio or Tualne's Pharm program? It's a 2 yr program so I don't see much of a point.

snakesonaplane said:
I am also a little confused as to what courses we take. Do we choose a concentration and just follow that?
the interdisciplinary path allows students to experience a wide variety of the general scientific courses. You get to pick the courses (under the supervision of your prog director). Other schools may let you take first yr med school classes. to me its too much of a gamble because youre fighting for the grade and the time of the professors. the classes would be harder, thered be a grading curve and a more demanding courseload

"It's a 2 yr program so I don't see much of a point"
2 yr masters programs are of benefit if you apply after your first yr
fall 06 - enter masters program
fall 07 - apply to med schools with great rec letters
June 08 - finish masters
fall 08 - enter med school

this gives you time to get rec letters, a chance to continue your education during the med school app process and graduate with a degree. Plus you can get a good paying job with a masters if you need to. With a one yr program you would have a gap year, leave with no formal degree, and have no 'back up' plan

shareesh said:
i am very confused with which program i should attend:bu or nymc.
I have alot of friends in boston, but not from the prog. They say boston is a great place, with many students and the social aspect kicks ass. Boston is a very large and congested city with many many colleges and universities (21 from my count) and def a higher fac to stud ratio.
"how competitive/rigorous the program is"
-BU is def a very competative program, nymc should be easier since the classroom sizes are smaller, the f to s ratio is smaller.

shareesh said:
I have done about 2 hours research :) and have found some really good apts ranging from 2 - 4 bedrooms w/ 1-2 bathrooms apartments.

Pros:
1.2 miles to 6 miles from campus
close to trains/buses
parking included

Con:
unfurnished
utilities not included

prices range from $625-$825 based on having your own room.

I am looking at the 3-4 people sharing a 3-4 bedroom apt which is 1.2 miles from campus and would be $625 per person.

as you can see I am looking for roommates :) I'm female from cali--post if any of you guys are interested :)

ps i did my research using various search engines.
pss i haven't recieved the housing packet i requested. how do people feel about the option of living with a family?
I am new to the forum, and was accepted to the NYMC BMS program early-July. My summer internship will end in late-Aug, and i'm planning to fly to NY a day or so before the orientation. I am also looking for a flat to share, preferably somewhere close to the campus within walking distance. Shareesh, I like your idea about forming a close study group together? If you're still looking for flat mates, please let me know.

hahaha looks like I was wrong. I looked at the bu site and it even made me want to go there. Aside from the 47,000 dollar price per year ($28g's tut+ 1g insurance+1g books+17g's per year(living)= 47g's) it looks like a great school. there would be lots of students and lots of research opportunities. I would go for Boston U because of its stats, and the fact it would look and sound nicer on a resume/plaque http://hpap.syr.edu/PB/BU.htm

NYMC - cant find info on md matriculation rates, theres alot of research opportunities and its kind of in the country. NYMC cost 24g's (9g's + 15g's (living))

http://www.wcmc.com (picture of hospital on top of page)
http://www.wcmc.com/body.cfm?id=63 (another pic and some info)
http://www.wcmc.com/body_mfch.cfm?id=1107 (pic on top is the childrens hospital)
http://hpap.syr.edu/PB/NYMC.htm
www. wcmc. com said:
"As an academic medical center and the region’s advanced care and Level 1 Trauma Center, Westchester Medical Center is on the leading edge of medical research and the latest advances in clinical care, serving more than 3.5 million people in the seven-county Hudson Valley region, northern New Jersey and lower Connecticut."

Oh yeah... and westchester medical hospital, the new york medical college graduate school, the medical school, maria fareri childrens hospital, the heart center, the cancer center, the transplant center, neuroscience center, trauma and burn center, taylor care center, and behavioral health center are all within walking distance (right next to) the westchester county jail . The hospital is also very close to sing sing prison where you can go on "daytime tours" hahaha. its located near very large cemetaries and right next to a jail. so if you can put up with that your fine lol.

I just thought you guys would like to know. lol

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/kamal2/Untitled-2.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/kamal2/Untitled-3.jpg
key to the map
yellow - jail
red - student housing
blue - admissions
tan - education buildings
green - hospital

I talked with a student in the program and had some questions answered 4 us :)

Atmosphere of NYMC?

NYMC is located in valhalla, NY. Now I didn't know anything about Westchester before I actually arrived here and it was a def. culture shock for me. The school itself, however, is your typical college for the most part minus an undergrad community.

How are people and the environment? Is it diverse? Being from California-is it a hard adjustment?

The school is quite diverse actually. Again, the adjustment from CA is hard in the sense that there are lots of differences b/w the two coasts. I personally find people to be very different, but again this is both good and bad and of course dependent on your personality. You may end up loving NY and never want to go back to CA!!! I'm not going to lie in the beginning I think most adjustments are difficult. I always had the convenience of home being right around the corner. So moving across country was a shock to say the least, but you do what you have to and don't worry I have no doubt that you won't adjust just fine.

Housing?

Go through the housing list that the school provides (you can request that from Candy Hack). The list contains apt.'s, rooms for rent in people's houses (this is common among students here), etc. ordered by distance from NYMC, which really helped me as I was not planning on bringing my car with me. Also, try posting a roommate request on yahoo groups, you might get a few replies from other students looking for a roommate. Another thing I used was craig's list, which is organized by state and location (search under westchester, new york). I post any fwd's I get about housing on yahoo groups as I get them, make sure to check those out because they tend to go very quickly.

Curriculum at NYMC?

As far as the content goes, both courses are taught by the same Prof.'s that teach the med students so the material is for the most part similar and it gives you a good idea of what you can handle.

Do a lot of the people get accepted to medical school?

There are no statistics on this unfortunately, but from my time here it seems that a good number of the students who wanted to go to med school got in. However, they were not mediocre students and for the most part did very well in the program at nymc (gpa >3.5) and had good mcats(avg. 30) as well. So once again, it's all a numbers game.

Rdmid said:
I am new to the forum, and was accepted to the NYMC BMS program early-July. My summer internship will end in late-Aug, and i'm planning to fly to NY a day or so before the orientation. I am also looking for a flat to share, preferably somewhere close to the campus within walking distance. Shareesh, I like your idea about forming a close study group together? If you're still looking for flat mates, please let me know.

For sure : ) I’m still homeless. I haven’t done much research since my last post. I did receive Candy’s mail of housing options. I think it might just be me—but I feel kinda weird renting out a room from someone’s home.

I have talked to some people in other programs (bu, georgetown) and they were all about getting a studio or a 1 bed room apt. I don’t think it would be a problem having roommates…because we will have our own rooms so we have our own space...And we are most likely going to be at school or the library anyway. I think it would be great renting an apartment and having roommates in the program—that way we can keep each other focused and be able to retain more information by studying together.

Tell me who is interested : ) I don’t mind living in a 2-4 bedroom apt. I would prefer having female roommates though if that’s okay.

Sucky thing about getting an apt is the furnishing and getting all the utilities situated. I’ll be flying out aug 20 (since in person registration begins on thw 21st) to get everything set before classes begin Sept 5.

Does anyone know what airport to fly to and how to get to Valhalla? What are you guys packing? Have you confirmed your class schedule--what classes? Are you planning to study for the mcats while in the program?

For people who got into this program, would you mind to share your stat?

shareesh said:
For sure : ) I’m still homeless. I haven’t done much research since my last post. I did receive Candy’s mail of housing options. I think it might just be me—but I feel kinda weird renting out a room from someone’s home.

I have talked to some people in other programs (bu, georgetown) and they were all about getting a studio or a 1 bed room apt. I don’t think it would be a problem having roommates…because we will have our own rooms so we have our own space...And we are most likely going to be at school or the library anyway. I think it would be great renting an apartment and having roommates in the program—that way we can keep each other focused and be able to retain more information by studying together.

Tell me who is interested : ) I don’t mind living in a 2-4 bedroom apt. I would prefer having female roommates though if that’s okay.

Sucky thing about getting an apt is the furnishing and getting all the utilities situated. I’ll be flying out aug 20 (since in person registration begins on thw 21st) to get everything set before classes begin Sept 5.

Does anyone know what airport to fly to and how to get to Valhalla? What are you guys packing? Have you confirmed your class schedule--what classes? Are you planning to study for the mcats while in the program?

hi.

i just got accepted into the nymc ms program yesterday. its so late! i'm so worried about registration and moving there and everything if i decide to go. i'm a girl from california too and was reading your post and i'm interested in renting a place together if everything works out. are there no campus housing left?

you guys are all way ahead of me. i am still not sure if having an MS will be the best way to improve my chances in getting in to a medical school eventually. what are your opinions on that? i guess having an MS can't hurt though =)

shareesh said:

I lived with at least two girls for the past five years so I'm used to sharing an apartment. I'd love to share a 2-4 bedroom apartment with someone from the BMS program so that we could study and support each other! I am totally up for it!

Here is a little bit of information about myself:
I'm Australian by citizenship, Chinese by ethincity. I grew up in Hong Kong, graduated from Carnegie Mellon University in 2005, and I spent this past year doing a Health Policy program in London.

I'm not a loud roommate and easy to get along with. Most of my previous room mates would say that I'm clean, organized and responsible. :) I usually wake up early in the morning, and go to bed around 12-ish at night. and I plan to study my mcats while in the program...

I am definitely interested in getting an apartment together. :laugh: I don't mind how much the rent would cost as long as it is not too far from campus.

congratulations!

thanks for the info...

MORE INFO ON HOUSING
aparently theres no buses going from valhalla directly to the school, its too bad since I found an 8 rm house for 1700 month there (4bdrm)...The bus transit guide can be found here, it would be best for those without cars to try to find housing near these routes.
http://www.westchestergov.com/beelinebus/images/Transit Guide Map 2005.pdf
Individual bus route maps and timetables can be found here (click on the number for the corresponding map) http://www.westchestergov.com/beelinebus/timetables.htm

its extremely hard to find an apartment complex in that part of ny, valhalla sanctioned most of its land for cemetary use and in doing so created a 'beautiful town close to nyc' with the only provision being residence may 'rent out thier houses.' so renting a house with some people might be the best option (not sharing a house with a family, but renting the whole thing) houses can be found pretty cheap (look above).

HOW TO GET THERE

if you fly into laguardia or jfk (both are about equidistant from grand central)
follow these instructions:

1. grab either a taxi or bus to grand central station
2. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3954007&postcount=11

or you could just fly to westchester county airport (http://www.westchestergov.com/airport/) and take a cab.

so how many people are there reading this forum that need housing still and wouldn't mind looking for housing together? and what kinds of programs did you all get into?

oh yeah and thank you to everyone who has done all this research and scouted out the area and has provided so much useful information! thanks!! =)

anyone still looking for housing? i found a 4 bed 2 bath house for 2500 online that looks like its near the school. it says its walking distance from trains and buses and has 3 parking spaces availible for rent and availible sept 1st. i'm not in ny so i can't go look or anything. but just wondering if 3 people would be interested =)

sounds good, I have some lined up too... I live in ny and am taking the mcats this 19th so housing is taking kind of a back seat. I agree that there should be some sort of list of people who need housing. Also, If it turns out that anybody needs a place in westchester asap I know a really great realty guy (private message for info) whos keeping an eye out for apts for me until after the 19th. He works in conjunction with the nymcollege and other universities around that area so he knows where the best places are.

list :
-coffeebeans
-kaml20

hey guys :) i wish you all the best of luck at nymc :) after much deliberation i am going to be going to BU this fall :)

congrats, like I said it looks like a great program in a great city with lots of opportunities. I hope your not the one who still has to take the mcats, and if you are Id say start studying as early as humanly possible since the program is hard. it is definately doable... I just wouldnt do it. good luck.

- nobody else needs housing?

coffeebeans said:
anyone still looking for housing? i found a 4 bed 2 bath house for 2500 online that looks like its near the school. it says its walking distance from trains and buses and has 3 parking spaces availible for rent and availible sept 1st. i'm not in ny so i can't go look or anything. but just wondering if 3 people would be interested =)

Do you have any photos or a link? I'm still not in NY, so probably won't be able to look at it until I arrive in a weeks' time.