New York Times Article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zinjanthropus

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
January 7, 2004
Young Doctors and Wish Lists: No Weekend Calls, No Beepers
By MATT RICHTEL

ennifer C. Boldrick lights up when the topic turns to blisters, eczema and skin cancer. She is also a big fan of getting a full night of sleep. And the combination of these interests has led Dr. Boldrick to become part of a marked shift in the medical profession.

Dr. Boldrick, 31, a graduate of Stanford University Medical School, is training to become a dermatologist. Dermatology has become one of the most competitive fields for new doctors, with a 40 percent increase in students pursuing the profession over the last five years, compared with a 40 percent drop in those interested in family practice.

The field may have acquired its newfound chic from television shows like "Nip/Tuck" and the vogue for cosmetic treatments like Botox, but for young doctors it satisfies another longing. Today's medical residents, half of them women, are choosing specialties with what experts call a "controllable lifestyle." Dermatologists typically do not work nights or weekends, have decent control over their time and are often paid out of pocket, rather than dealing with the inconveniences of insurance.

"The surgery lifestyle is so much worse," said Dr. Boldrick, who rejected a career in plastic surgery. "I want to have a family. And when you work 80 or 90 hours a week, you can't even take care of yourself."

Other specialties also enjoying a surge in popularity are radiology, anesthesiology and even emergency-room medicine, which despite their differences all allow doctors to put work behind them when their shifts end, and make medicine less all-encompassing, more like a 9-to-5 job.

What young doctors say they want is that "when they finish their shift, they don't carry a beeper; they're done," said Dr. Gregory W. Rutecki, chairman of medical education at Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, a community hospital affiliated with the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University.

Lifestyle considerations accounted for 55 percent of a doctor's choice of specialty in 2002, according to a paper in the Journal of the American Medical Association in September by Dr. Rutecki and two co-authors. That factor far outweighs income, which accounted for only 9 percent of the weight prospective residents gave in selecting a specialty.

Many of the brightest students vie for several hundred dermatology residency spots. The National Residency Matching Program, which matches medical school graduates to residency openings, reported that in 2002, 338 medical school seniors were interested in dermatology, up from 244 in 1997 ? though the 2002 figure still represented only 2.3 percent of the potential doctor pool.

In 2002, 944 seniors wanted to pursue anesthesiology, compared with 243 five years earlier ? while the interest in radiology almost doubled, to 903 from 463, according to the matching program's figures.

Numerous medical educators noted that the growth of interest in these fields coincided with a drop in students drawn to more traditional ? and all-consuming ? fields. In 2002, the number of students interested in general surgery dropped to 1,123 from 1,437, for example.

And that has many doctors and educators concerned. "There's a brain drain to dermatology, radiology and anesthesia," Dr. Rutecki said. He said that students who are not selected for residencies in these lifestyle-friendly specialties are choosing internal medicine by default.

"Not only are we getting interest from people lower in the class, but we're getting a number of them because they have nowhere else to go," Dr. Rutecki said.

This notion of a "brain drain" to subspecialties from the bread and butter fields of medicine is not new. But in recent years it has come to be associated with a flight to more lucrative fields. What is new, say medical educators, is an emphasis on way of life. In some cases, it even means doctors are willing to take lower-paying jobs ? say, in emergency room medicine ? or work part time. In other fields, like dermatology and radiology, doctors can enjoy both more control over their time and a relatively hefty paycheck.

According to the American Medical Association, a dermatologist averages $221,000 annually for 45.5 hours of work per week. That's more lucrative ? and less time-consuming ? than internal medicine or pediatrics, where doctors earn around $135,000 and spend more than 50 hours a week at work. A general surgeon averages $238,000 for a 60-hour week, while an orthopedist makes $323,000 for a 58-hour week. The number of dermatology residencies has been steadily growing. The American Academy of Dermatology says there are 343 dermatology residents in their third year, 377 in their second year, and 392 in their first.

The trend comes as the medical profession is already struggling to balance the demands of patient care with the strain put on doctors from overwork. Since last year, new rules have limited a resident's hours to 80 hours a week.

Some medical careers, like radiology, entail working long hours but not responding to patient emergencies on nights and weekends.

Educators point to a number of factors to explain the newfound emphasis on lifestyle. Dr. Elliott Wolfe, director of professional development for medical students at Stanford, cites the growing proportion of medical students who are women; in the 2002-3 year they made up 49.1 percent of entering students, according to the American Medical Association. Dermatology offers more control and income than, say, pediatrics and family medicine, which have traditionally drawn women.

Lee Ann Michelson, director of premedical and health care advising at Harvard University, said undergraduates considering a future in medicine are extremely concerned about whether they can have a life outside of medicine. She said she talks to numerous children of physicians who are concerned they will be as absent in the lives of their children, as their parents were.

The symbol for "controllable lifestyle" is dermatology. And when residents graduate they can count on plenty of faces and bodies to heal and reconstruct, thanks to an aging, and affluent, population. One-stop dermatology spas seem to open weekly in Manhattan, offering lunchtime visitors quick-fix lip fillers, laser procedures and face peels. It's not fast food, it's fast facial.

"You make your own hours. You can see 15 patients a day, or 10 patients a day. There are very few emergencies. It's not an acute situation, ever," said Dr. Dennis Gross, a Manhattan dermatologist. Plus, he said the procedures dermatologists perform can be lucrative; a 12-minute Botox treatment can cost a patient $400, with the doctor keeping half, for instance.

And the procedures often are elective, meaning that patients pay out of their own pockets. "It's cash, check or credit card," said Dr. Wolfe of Stanford.

The difference in lives is well illustrated by the experience of Z. Paul Lorenc and Marek M. Lorenc, 48-year-old twin brothers who chose careers on different ends of the spectrum.

Marek is a dermatologist in Santa Rosa, Calif., north of San Francisco. He gets into work at 8 a.m., leaves at 6 p.m., and is rarely called to the hospital at night, giving him ample time to spend with his wife and two children. "When I'm done," he said, "I'm a husband and a father. I go to soccer games. I coach soccer games."

His brother is a plastic surgeon in Manhattan. He arrives at work before 7, kissing his two sleeping children before he leaves the house. He performs face lifts, breast augmentations, brow lifts and liposuction, intensive surgical procedures that demand round-the-clock availability at the hospital. He often does not get home until after 9 p.m., and he goes into the office on Saturday. He doesn't see his children nearly as much as he would like, but he said that is what the pursuit of excellence in his specialty requires.

He is bothered by what he sees as a lack of devotion by today's medical students. A faculty member at New York University's medical school, he said the interest in way of life is across the board.

"When residents come looking for jobs, they ask, `How often do I have to take night call,' " he said. "There's less intensity, less determination and less devotion."

But Dr. Boldrick said she is not trying to avoid hard work. While she intends to have two children, she still plans to work full time.

What she wants to avoid is chaos and uncertainty and the lack of control that comes with other specialties. "I see people around me who like to do those things, and I think, `Thank God,' " said Dr. Boldrick, who added that she feels she can make a contribution without taking on the meat and potatoes of say, internal medicine. "If I force myself to do something that didn't make me happy in order to pay a debt to society, that wouldn't do anyone any good," she said.

The reasoning resonates with Dr. Clara Choi, 32, a resident in radiation oncology at Stanford. Dr. Choi finds her field fascinating but pointed out that it also demands few unexpected calls to the hospital.

Married, she plans to have a family. "I'd have to get someone to take care of the baby if I spent every third or fourth night in the hospital," Dr. Choi said.

Dr. Rutecki says he completely understands, having missed out on a lot in the lives of his own two children.

"I missed a lot because I was on call three to five days a week," he said. "Rather than take this data as an opportunity to criticize, I think we recognize that this is the way medicine is moving."

Members don't see this ad.

there was also an article in yesterday's times about the nursing shortage and what is being done about it (ROBOTS!)

you should all read the times EVERY DAY, especially Tuesday for the science times! do it now! :)

I guess its quite obvious that the best students will go into derm, rads, opth, or anesthesiology. The brain drain would be quite easy to fix, simply increase the number or residency spots and bring down the salary (since it is a market more or less). Of course, no one would agree to that, so I guess the best and brightest from the top research schools will continue to flick warts.

So I guess while derm becomes increasingly more popular, I wonder what the other specialties plan on doing to compete (seeing as to how it would be near impossible to significantly impact the lifestyle specialties). There is probably not much to be done unless the hours are changed around, but with the costs of medical care already rising, this is doubtful to happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
This article is an excellent springboard for discussion. I recently attended a student forum, in which a group of physician panelists answered a variety of questions regarding their specialties, lifestyle, etc. One of the physicians--an oncologist in private practice--said that he lamented the "shift mentality" of today's physicians. When he finished his residency, he claimed that the predominant philosophy of physicians was "you stay until the job is done." Now physicians are unwilling to stay past 5 or whatever predesignated hour, because they're so fixated on quality of life issues.

In the wake of the prosperous 80's and 90's, it seems that hard work has assumed a new definition for the children of affluent parents. My father lived on peanut butter, tuna, and crackers as a college student and dental student in the 60's and 70's. He studied and lived in an attic for 8 years. Am I willing to subject myself to the same hardship and penury--the constant hunger-- that my dad endured 30 odd years ago? I don't know, man. I just don't know. And I don't think I'm alone in this regard. Take a look at the 80-hr cap for residents. What does the preceding lawsuit suggest about current medical graduates' conceptions of "hard work"? Is the American subculture of affluent children (after all, most doctors were born into affluent families) becoming increasingly "wussified"--i.e., sedentary, indolent, and characterized by an overwhelming sense of self-entitlement? I think so. Granted, 80 hours as a resident is still freakin insane. But does it compare to the 100+ hours of the previous generation of doctors?

Just my two pennies on the subject.

Aside from Derm, most medical residency speciality goes thru "peaks and valley". Studies like these tend to be couple of years behind the times. They are forced to use data that are a few years old. It is easy to say that anesthesia and radiology have experience 300%+ growth when they are using the "valley" data point for these specialities. Five to seven years ago, they couldn't give the anesthesia and radiology residency spots away. There were actually anesthesia programs who offered signing bonuses (like signing a ball player). No program in anesthesia actually filled (including Harvard assoc. hospitals).

Pediatric was one of the most popular speciality five years ago. The landscape are constantly changing. The only speciality the is immune to this is Derm. Not even opthal. only Derm

Hospitalists who only practice inpatient care are a new phenomena related to this. Having them in the hospital allows internal medicine doctors to transfer responsibility to them when their patients go into the hospital. This can give them more control over their lifestyle as they can maintain more of an office based practice and not get called in the middle of the night so often. By the time we graduate this may make internal medicine more attractive and manageable!

:)

so do hospitalists have fairly regular hours and less on call time as well? it would seem that pairing this with an IM would reduce those middle of the night beeps for both.
is there even a residency in that?

http://www.charleston.net/stories/072603/loc_26hospitalists.shtml

I found you a good article on it. Basically after you finish your residency in internal medicine you just decide that you don't want to maintain an office based practice you specialize in working in the hospital.

I think you are right it could have huge benefits for both the hospitalist who could work on a shift basis and for the office based internal medicine doc who wouldn't get called in the night so often.

:)

thanks!!

i think there was a NYT article on this in the past, but you would have to pay for it now...

I think the main reason for the limit on residency hours was to prevent them from making mistakes. I don't believe its a question of being "soft" when residents don't want to work 100+ hours. The reduction in hours came as a way to provide patient safety. After all, I wouldn't want a doctor at the end of a 100 hr wk to be making critical decisions about my life.

Its funny how people look at the present and say that its not the way it used to be...as if we are all supposed to be bound by ritual and tradition to do things a certain way. With scientific advances and new understanding we better understand our world today than in the past, and I think we should change accordingly. In the past when resident's worked the 100 hr wks., it was more of a brute force method or a right of passage to becoming a doctor. One could argue that this is shows determination and drive, which it might have at first, but soon it became more of a tradition as residents were seen as cheap labor and so were bound to the long schedules because of cost benefit analysis. I think shortening hours in general is good because doctors are only human and only able to stay focused for a limited time. As for the brain drain into the specialties, it makes sense because after all, they're not stupid. Anyone would choose less work for <$$$.

hahaha. so when those doctors were asked why do you want to be a doc in their interviews did they answer cause i want an easy life and good money??