NEWB Question: Competitiveness of Pediatric Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chuck's Right Foot

Class of 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting med school in the Fall. I'm leaning towards a Pediatric specialty or a pediatric fellowship post-surgical residency. Basically, I quit my current career to go to med school to work with children, so I am pretty convinced I am taking one of these routes.

I have friends in very competitive residencies (Integrated Platics at UPMC, etc.) and I have seen all the effort that they placed into preparing themselves for match, etc. I was wondering how competitive Peds Heme-Onc and Peds Cardiology were. Are these fellowships ones that are "research necessary" to obtain? Do peds fellowships/peds internships prefer clinical vs. basic science research? I would assume this is either a non-issue or program dependant based on the faculty interests...

Other than SIGs during school and shadowing, are there other avenues to pursue to explore these options?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting med school in the Fall. I'm leaning towards a Pediatric specialty or a pediatric fellowship post-surgical residency. Basically, I quit my current career to go to med school to work with children, so I am pretty convinced I am taking one of these routes.

I have friends in very competitive residencies (Integrated Platics at UPMC, etc.) and I have seen all the effort that they placed into preparing themselves for match, etc. I was wondering how competitive Peds Heme-Onc and Peds Cardiology were. Are these fellowships ones that are "research necessary" to obtain? Do peds fellowships/peds internships prefer clinical vs. basic science research? I would assume this is either a non-issue or program dependant based on the faculty interests...

Other than SIGs during school and shadowing, are there other avenues to pursue to explore these options?

Thanks in advance.
It is a n00b question, but we forgive you. ;)

A search of this forum will yield past discussion threads on this topic and these particular specialties.

I do believe Heme-Onc and Cards are 2 of the most competitive pedi specialties. Still not as competitive as some of their adult counterparts and certain adult surgical specialties.

A second career in a pedi specialty is an excellent way to go. :D