newbie question about clinical pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

phillips101

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EDIT: I'm going to move this to the thread with Belmont, but feel free to offer your opinions 🙂

Hi guys, thanks for reading my thread and (possibly) answering my question. Also, my apologies if these questions have been asked before. I tried to do my own research before posting anything, so if you could provide me with an answer, it'd be much appreciated.

So I've been a premed pretty much all my life. I spent my college years (class of '09) trying to do things geared for med school- taking the prereqs, volunteering, research, etc etc. In fact, I have about 10 MCAT books on my shelf, since I've been studying for it. But after graduating, and thinking about what I want to do for the REST of my life, I decided that maybe pharmacy is a better choice for me.

Just some background info about me:
Graduate of Johns Hopkins U w/ 3.57 overall gpa. My major gpa is something like a 3.7 or 3.8 (I'm not trying to brag, I just don't know how much pharmacy schools take into consideration your major gpa). HOWEVER my science gpa is not so great, somewhere at a 3.1 or 3.2 ish. But maybe I can bring that up, considering I haven't taken some of the pre-req courses for certain schools (like anatomy/microbio). Oh, and I have a very steep upward trend. Going from a ~3.1 first semester to a ~3.9 last semester, which increases each semester.

Now for my question:
- I'm interested in becoming a clinical or hospital pharmacist. As far as I understand, the route to getting there is first getting your pharmD, and then doing clinical residencies afterwards? So how does the PhD or masters in pharmacy play in all this? Do I need to get a phD in order to become a clinical pharmacist?

-How does the name of your undergraduate institution play a role (if any) in admissions?

-Does pharmacy school consider GPA trends? (I know med schools do to a certain extent.)

-Finally, how do you guys manage to shadow pharmacists? Do you just call them, then ask them to shadow? I would preferably like to shadow one in the hospital, so I can't really just come up to CVS and ask them.

Also, I'm not trying to compare med and pharm school in any way, and neither am I choosing pharmacy simply because "I won't get into med school". It's a matter of which career path is the better one for me, and since up until yesterday, I was still the MCAT- so I have a lot of researching to do.
Thanks guys!
 
Last edited:
1) If all you want to be is a clinical pharmacist, all you need is your PharmD. There is no masters or PhD involved.

2) Some but very little. If a school thinks a person coming out of a CC is more qualified than you they will take that person regardless where you went to school. Your school will make a difference in this scenario. It comes down to you and another student for a spot. You have the same GPA and qualifications. You both are almost identical in every way except you got a 3.5 at Johns Hopkins and the other person got a 3.5 at CC. Then the spot goes to you.

3) They consider it.

4)This one is in the FAQ
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=198059
Here specifically
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1703697&postcount=32
The FAQ is a good place to start if you have any questions about the pharmacy process.
 
EDIT: I'm going to move this to the thread with Belmont, but feel free to offer your opinions 🙂

Hi guys, thanks for reading my thread and (possibly) answering my question. Also, my apologies if these questions have been asked before. I tried to do my own research before posting anything, so if you could provide me with an answer, it'd be much appreciated.

So I've been a premed pretty much all my life. I spent my college years (class of '09) trying to do things geared for med school- taking the prereqs, volunteering, research, etc etc. In fact, I have about 10 MCAT books on my shelf, since I've been studying for it. But after graduating, and thinking about what I want to do for the REST of my life, I decided that maybe pharmacy is a better choice for me.

Just some background info about me:
Graduate of Johns Hopkins U w/ 3.57 overall gpa. My major gpa is something like a 3.7 or 3.8 (I'm not trying to brag, I just don't know how much pharmacy schools take into consideration your major gpa). HOWEVER my science gpa is not so great, somewhere at a 3.1 or 3.2 ish. But maybe I can bring that up, considering I haven't taken some of the pre-req courses for certain schools (like anatomy/microbio). Oh, and I have a very steep upward trend. Going from a ~3.1 first semester to a ~3.9 last semester, which increases each semester.

Now for my question:
- I'm interested in becoming a clinical or hospital pharmacist. As far as I understand, the route to getting there is first getting your pharmD, and then doing clinical residencies afterwards? So how does the PhD or masters in pharmacy play in all this? Do I need to get a phD in order to become a clinical pharmacist?

-How does the name of your undergraduate institution play a role (if any) in admissions?

-Does pharmacy school consider GPA trends? (I know med schools do to a certain extent.)

-Finally, how do you guys manage to shadow pharmacists? Do you just call them, then ask them to shadow? I would preferably like to shadow one in the hospital, so I can't really just come up to CVS and ask them.

Also, I'm not trying to compare med and pharm school in any way, and neither am I choosing pharmacy simply because "I won't get into med school". It's a matter of which career path is the better one for me, and since up until yesterday, I was still the MCAT- so I have a lot of researching to do.
Thanks guys!
Good for you...stay away from retail pharmacy...its total bullsh*t.
 
-How does the name of your undergraduate institution play a role (if any) in admissions?

I think one can safely say that anyone in the health care field should at least recognize Johns Hopkins in any affiliation, whether or not it's conscious.