Newbie Question about preliminary year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smokie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm an M2 interested in anesthesiology. I was wondering how the preliminary year works. Let's say I wanted to do a prelim year in medicine. Would I just apply to some IM residency along with the anesthesia residency during 4th year of med school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I am going through the application process right now; so I will tell you how I think it works. A number of anesthesia residencies are three-year programs, which require that you first complete an intern year. This intern year can be a transitional, a prelim med year, or a prelim surgery year. There are exceptions, like a person who's completed one year of Ob/Gyn, but in general you have these three options. If you decide you want to do a prelim med year, then you would simply apply to some of those programs. They're designated as prelim med on ERAS (which is the application prgm you'll use). At the same time, you'll also apply for your anesthesia (advanced) residency. So you'll have to interview for both, which means you may live in place x for your intern year, and then place y for your three years of anesthesia residency. If you decide to do a transitional or prelim surg, then you'd go through the same process. Just know that you can apply to all three types, i.e., prelim med, prelim surg, and transitional. This will increase your chances of getting a spot, but it's not too, too hard.
Also, remember that some anesthesia programs are four-year programs with an integrated intern year, e.g., UTHSC in San Antonio. Some students prefer these programs for many reasons, e.g., not having to move multiple times, learning who'll you'll work with sooner, etc.
Hope this helps.

Hi, I'm starting medical school in fall 2008. I was wondering what advice you might have for me regarding how to get an anesthesiology residency. I've heard that it is a "competitive" residency, but I'm not sure what that really means. What should I be thinking about as I head to medical school and start down this path so that when the time comes I will be a good applicant?

It is certainly true that anesthesiology is becoming a more competitive field to go into for many reasons: income, hours of work, and the opportunity to subspecialize. I think that you should certainly focus on your studies, get the best grades you can get, especially in physio and pharm. I know that most of my friends going into anesthesia did not do research, but I did and it's helped me get some great interviews so far. So you may plan on finding someone to work with between years one and two. Get some papers published and try to go to the ASA and present before your fourth year. This will make you look like a star. Also, work hard to do well on Step I. In general, you'll hear you have to destroy this test, but this isn't true. Aim to score above average, however. Good luck and remember to keep an open mind. Before you know it, you may want to go into ER or Plastics.

Cheers.