Newbie with questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so I am currently kinda/sorta pre-med. However the more I think about it, the more detached I become with the idea, partly because I do not have the stats for med and also because the lifestyles I hear about are not something I want to be apart of. So I'm here on SDN trying to explore other options, I have already looked into pharmacy and decided that it probably wasn't for me, now I am looking into optometry.

One major concern I have is that it seems that the majority of optometrists are female. Is this true? Does anyone have any hard statistics to the percentage male/female optometrists and optometry students?

Also another major concern is salary. I want to be able to live comfortably, Will I be able to do this with a job at lets say pearle vision or something like that. I'm talking a upwards of 100K, What can I expect to start with because I have seen lots of varying figures and would like to narrow it down because I do not know what to believe, I have seen 55K and I have seen 120K and I do not understand how there is that huge of a gap and which one to believe.

Also I am not very familiar with the actual science of optometry but it seems to be a LOT of physics. Is this in fact the case or is it more biological because I must say that I hate physics and am not sure I can go into a career that it is predominately based on a subject that I cannot stand.

Lastly, Can I apply to opt schools with the MCAT, specifically the one in Illinois. or will I need to take the OAT

Members don't see this ad.

OK so I am currently kinda/sorta pre-med. However the more I think about it, the more detached I become with the idea, partly because I do not have the stats for med and also because the lifestyles I hear about are not something I want to be apart of. So I'm here on SDN trying to explore other options, I have already looked into pharmacy and decided that it probably wasn't for me, now I am looking into optometry.

One major concern I have is that it seems that the majority of optometrists are female. Is this true? Does anyone have any hard statistics to the percentage male/female optometrists and optometry students?

Also another major concern is salary. I want to be able to live comfortably, Will I be able to do this with a job at lets say pearle vision or something like that. I'm talking a upwards of 100K, What can I expect to start with because I have seen lots of varying figures and would like to narrow it down because I do not know what to believe, I have seen 55K and I have seen 120K and I do not understand how there is that huge of a gap and which one to believe.

Also I am not very familiar with the actual science of optometry but it seems to be a LOT of physics. Is this in fact the case or is it more biological because I must say that I hate physics and am not sure I can go into a career that it is predominately based on a subject that I cannot stand.

Lastly, Can I apply to opt schools with the MCAT, specifically the one in Illinois. or will I need to take the OAT

that female trend is actually true. I dont understand exactly why though...

You will need to take the OAT...its easier than the MCAT.

Last time I heard..about 4 months ago...the starting salary contracts that pearle vision/lenscrafters...aka luxotica group was about $89k. This is chicago suburbs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Straight up. Ignore salary/difficulty of school/chances to get in/ect to start off. Shadow an optometrist or two and see if you are ACTUALLY interested in the feild.

Don't think of opt school as a secondary choice because you "can't" get into med school. You will be in for a world of disappointment. ***ICO entering class profile:
Mean Overall GPA
Mean OATS (TS)343

Submitting your MCAT scores to opt schools won't do you any good.

that female trend is actually true. I dont understand exactly why though...

It's partly because optometry is flexible and allows women to work part-time after having kids. Not something you can really do if you're an MD, unless you're incredibly lucky.

And yeah, LOTS of optics. Think about it - you need to know about lenses and refracting light and all of that.

Like someone else mentioned, you need to shadow some docs and see if you really like it. Bad, bad idea to go into optometry just because you don't think you can get into med school.

Too be honest, you sound like a terrible optometry candidate. It sounds like you're using optometry school as a fall back and you're only really interested because you might make good money and not have to work hard for it. Oh, and your desire to work for Pearl doesn't thrill me either.

Thanks for your answers

-I obviously can't shadow all the careers I am interested in which is why I came here first to try to learn a little bit about it and than see if I want to shadow.

-I am not dead set on optometry, I am just trying to get a feel for it so please stop ridiculing me saying I only care about money and the easy road, True, the only reason I am looking into optometry now is because I don't think I can get into med, but false that I picked it because of money and hours, It is a field that in the past I have been genuinely interested in but I have heard bad things about the field which is why I never actively pursued it.

-I obviously can't shadow all the careers I am interested in which is why I came here first to try to learn a little bit about it and than see if I want to shadow.

Why not? I did.

Optician, Ophthalmology... Hell even: Psychiatry, Cardiology, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Neurology, Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics, grad school, even took a week off to hang out with a friend who owns a bar in costa rica (awesome lifestyle, not really for me though)

Check out all your options is my point. Other peoples opinions are just that, first hand experience knowlege is what you should go for when your deciding a career. You can always bring up your gpa its not like doors are closing to your future or anything.

As eyestrain said, to an objective viewer, it does sound like you are seeking other professions as a second choice because your original plans of medical school did not fall into place. That doesn't mean it's a negative thing. Talk about how it was your original plan, but after some research into the lifestyle of MDs, you decided it was not for you.

However, do not go seeking professions based on salary, hours, etc. Work on a profession for what you like about it. The subject matter, any personal interest, the available lifestyles, etc. This can only be answered by you, and the best way is to shadow the professional. First hand experience is the best way to learn. You don't want to pursue something and invest your time only to find yourself miserable once you enter the work force.

Since time is limited, do some research and ask around like you are doing. Narrow down your choices and shadow. Good luck with finding your career path.

There is an increasing trend for female optometrists, but it used to have a male majority before. I think it's at an equal balance right now, but will soon tip towards a female majority.
Have you taken all of physics already? Because I heard that physics in optometry school will be based on one very specific area (refraction, lenses, and mirrors), not the more generalized gravitation, magnetism, etc.

And yes, you are required to take the OATs

Thanks for your answers

-I am not dead set on optometry, I am just trying to get a feel for it so please stop ridiculing me saying I only care about money and the easy road, True, the only reason I am looking into optometry now is because I don't think I can get into med, but false that I picked it because of money and hours, It is a field that in the past I have been genuinely interested in but I have heard bad things about the field which is why I never actively pursued it.

What bad things have you heard about the field?

Members don't see this ad :)
I could, any objections ?

please do, Everyone else is too scared to give it to me straight and I think it is important to know what I am getting myself into, I wish someone had done that to me before I started college, I sincerely think, things would've turned out a lot better if someone had done that to me.

I will do that to my kids when, god-willing, I have them.

please do, Everyone else is too scared to give it to me straight and I think it is important to know what I am getting myself into, I wish someone had done that to me before I started college, I sincerely think, things would've turned out a lot better if someone had done that to me.

What, you can't do things yourself? Here's a little tip: if you take any advice from gochi.... major fail.

Yes there are drawbacks to this profession but there are many great things about optometry as well. I won't post them because you can do your own research. And if you don't like what you see, that's okay, there are other health professions out there.

What, you can't do things yourself? Here's a little tip: if you take any advice from gochi.... major fail.

Yes there are drawbacks to this profession but there are many great things about optometry as well. I won't post them because you can do your own research. And if you don't like what you see, that's okay, there are other health professions out there.

i must have insulted you pretty bad in some of my other posts, but you probably deserved it. However, there's no reason to get your panties wet about those insults, as that is a habit of mine.

screw education is what i would tell "my" kids.

anyhow, i feel as if some pre-opts, and some soon to be OD's, are grossly misinformed. I will start a new thread in the pre-opt forum, soon.

God, just what we need. Another optometry-bashing thread by gochi/megaton.

OP: Look, there's PLENTY wrong with this profession and you should know about it beforehand-- but just watch who you take your advice from. Main issues: over-saturation (with 3 new schools that aren't helping the situation), insurance companies, and competing with the commercial practices. Other people gripe about a various slew of other things, but those three, I believe, are the main issues. When you consider the negative aspects, also consider the fact that EVERY profession has negative aspects, and its up to YOU to decide what's worth it, and what isn't.

I suggest talking to REAL optometrists instead of taking advice from gochi (who isn't an optometrist, nor on his way to becoming one).

Last edited:
deleted

Last edited:
i must have insulted you pretty bad in some of my other posts, but you probably deserved it. However, there's no reason to get your panties wet about those insults, as that is a habit of mine.

Not at all. I can't recall a time you ever insulted me.

What I am talking about here is the fact that you are not a pre-opt, student or an OD but you still attempt to give people advice like its gospel. Why do you post on these forums if you aren't pursuing the career? Just to stir the pot?

As for the original poster, I am not going to bash you because you are looking at optometry school as a second choice. Just realize when you come on these forums to say you are not good enough for MD school so OD school might be a backup, you will offend some people here. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Last edited:

What I am talking about here is the fact that you are not a pre-opt, student or an OD but you still attempt to give people advice like its gospel. Why do you post on these forums if you aren't pursuing the career? Just to stir the pot?

As for the original poster, I am not going to bash you because you are looking at optometry school as a second choice. Just realize when you come on these forums to say you are not good enough for MD school so OD school might be a backup, you will offend some people here. Good luck on whatever you choose.

What makes you think I'm not pursuing optometry?

Here is your list, more or less.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=614212

What I am talking about here is the fact that you are not a pre-opt, student or an OD but you still atempt to give people advice like its gospel. Why do you post on these forums if you aren't pursuing the career? Just to stir the pot?

Couldn't have said it better myself! :thumbup:

What makes you think I'm not pursuing optometry?

What I'm wondering is what do you like about optometry? I can't recall a positive thing you have ever said about it. It is difficult to believe you are pursing it if 99.9% of your posts are are all about the downfalls of the field. I'm right you know.

What I'm wondering is what do you like about optometry? I can't recall a positive thing you have ever said about it. It is difficult to believe you are pursing it if 99.9% of your posts are are all about the downfalls of the field. I'm right you know.

Should students be concerned with the positives or the negatives of a particular field?

Should students be concerned with the positives or the negatives of a particular field?

Well seeing as how you are such a pessimist, you only concentrate on the negatives.

I would look at both sides of course; I would be an idiot not to. All things considered I still find the positives to be greater than the negatives. What about you?

Well seeing as how you are such a pessimist, you only concentrate on the negatives.

I would look at both sides of course; I would be an idiot not to. All things considered I still find the positives to be greater than the negatives. What about you?

Please tell us what the positives of optometry are.