Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Newest blurb about Wal-clinics.

Discussion in 'Topics in Healthcare' started by Red Beard, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Red Beard

Attending Physician

From the article:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Red Beard

Attending Physician
    Also:

4. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus

It would be nice if you would post the link to the article for all of us to read :)

5. Red Beard

Attending Physician
  6. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member
    Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    At least walmart has enough sense to have the clinics be independent of the store itself. Hopefully walmart will actually let them run on their own. Maybe some of their own uninsured employees will actually get some health coverage out this? :eek:

7. Miami_med

Miami_med Moving Far Away
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    This seems to mean that Walmart is allowing local hospitals to open clinics in its stores. It seems that Walmart is competing with strip shopping centers and professional offices, not physicians. Hospitals are competing. Nothing about this increases the number of people practicing medicine. It does create a new practice opportunity for some practicioners. I don't see how this actually impacts anything, aside from the clinic being more convenient to where people shop for groceries.

8. Tired

Tired Fading away

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all these clincs staffed by NPs?

9. Miami_med

Miami_med Moving Far Away
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it would depend on who opened the clinics. As I said, they're hospital clinics. Walmart is just leasing space.

10. Llenroc

Llenroc Bandidos Motorcycle Club

I'm in my third year of medical school. I work everyday from 7 to 6. I'm never, ever allowed to take a day off (unless I want to make it up with 2 extra nights of call). I never get any sick days.

I'm thinking something like this might be pretty useful for someone like myself, assuming they keep it open extra hours.

I always used to get my contact lenses at the opthalmologists office, because I expected the quality of service to be better. Last year my contacts prescription ran out, and I *had* to go to the optometrist at the Sam's Club, because they were open on a Sunday. I was actually quite surprised by the quality of service that I got there. :thumbup: