Newest Kaplan Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not taking the DAT until probably July or so of 2012 but I wanted to get a head start looking at the prep material.

I found this Kaplan book on amazon and had 2 questions http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1607146592/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

1. Is this the newest version of the "Kaplan Blue Book" people refer to? I'm not seeing anything newer but I noticed this says "seventh edition" and was published 1 year after the "2009-2010" edition. I'm not sure why one is in years and one is an nth edition.

2. Is anyone aware of if a new one is supposed to be produced every year and/or if getting this one would be someone pointless in it being obsolete by the time I took the DAT? I would definitely think not because I can't imagine it changing so much in less than a year but I figured I'd ask

Members don't see this ad.

Avoid Kaplan..... or don't invest too much in it.

Well it's $40 so it's not much. I was planning on taking the course but I don't know I will anymore after reading more about people's opinion on it and other sources. But it seems the KBB is something many people have used

Well it's $40 so it's not much. I was planning on taking the course but I don't know I will anymore after reading more about people's opinion on it and other sources. But it seems the KBB is something many people have used
If you truly have the motivation to study on your own (and will do it!!) then avoid the course.
KBB is good, im sure any recent year, there are quite some errors so i doubt they fix it up too much. supplemented with old textbooks and the internet is all you need!
topscore - practice exams (3)
ADEA - 1 practice exam for $, 1 for free (very easy though)
crackdatPAT practices PAT
DAT DESTROYER - great to get a grasp on questions and themes, and what youre weak in (if possible, maybe pick up a cheaper used version)

this should easily be enough, and you can always find more options if you find yourself having more time prior to the exam!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you truly have the motivation to study on your own (and will do it!!) then avoid the course.
KBB is good, im sure any recent year, there are quite some errors so i doubt they fix it up too much. supplemented with old textbooks and the internet is all you need!
topscore - practice exams (3)
ADEA - 1 practice exam for $, 1 for free (very easy though)
crackdatPAT practices PAT
DAT DESTROYER - great to get a grasp on questions and themes, and what youre weak in (if possible, maybe pick up a cheaper used version)

this should easily be enough, and you can always find more options if you find yourself having more time prior to the exam!

It will be hard to make myself study with all my other courses going on but then I should have a month or so after finals of nothing but studying. The KBB is just for now but eventually I plan on getting chad's videos, the DAT + MATH destroyer, CrackDatPat and maybe TopScore as well (following that stickied sample plan).

Do you get that ADEA one for free when you register for the DAT? I've heard other people mention it but haven't seen it online

Dude, this is part of the Kaplan scam. Just like a Campbell textbook edition comes out every two to three years but all the content is exactly the same except for the cover, Kaplan does the same thing.

Kaplan **** is the same old **** from like 10 years ago. They're too lazy to update and don't care to do so as long as suckers are paying for their course.

So I wouldn't worry about getting shafted in terms of a new edition coming out.

Try buyin the KWB instead of the KBB....its just a fatter verison of the blue book with questions after the end of each chapter and no PAT

You wont be able to get the KWB off the internet as it only comes with registering for the 1200$ Kap course...trying buying it off an SDN member or ebay

go to predds.net to get an idea of what materials are good and what not

I've got a KWB for sale if interested..it covers most of the essential information you need for the test, especially general chemistry and organic chemistry. biology is pretty strong, but should be supplemented with a good textbook and/or destroyer..

by the way, I would pass on the Kaplan course. I took it and it definitely was NOT worth the money. The instructors are young and usually haven't even had the experience of taking the test. Plus, they are required to go over extremely simple material and most of the time weren't able to answer relatively simple science questions

I have heard the same thing about the KWB having more info/questions/tests. It seems odd that it doesn't have a PAT section but from what I understand the PAT section in the KBB is too easy anyway and I'll just be getting CDP for that. Having said that it would be nice to get at least some practice with the PAT section early.
CDP is unlimited use though right? Maybe I'll just get that early as well. Not sure whether the royal flush version is worth it or just ace version.

I've got a KWB for sale if interested..it covers most of the essential information you need for the test, especially general chemistry and organic chemistry. biology is pretty strong, but should be supplemented with a good textbook and/or destroyer..

by the way, I would pass on the Kaplan course. I took it and it definitely was NOT worth the money. The instructors are young and usually haven't even had the experience of taking the test. Plus, they are required to go over extremely simple material and most of the time weren't able to answer relatively simple science questions

Thanks for the info, the more I read the less I think it would be wise to take the course. I think I'll spend my time studying on my own with more material.

How much are you selling the KWB for? Out of curiosity what year is it?

it is the newest edition released by Kaplan (2009) and it is from the course I just took in May. I used the KWB and destroyer and ended up getting a 22AA, so contrary to popular critique, Kaplan does do its job as long as you have a decent biology background before heading into the exam.

Message me about prices if you are interested in buying the KWB. I also have the Kaplan lesson book for sale, the Kaplan Blue Book, and a 52-page biology study guide I made on Word (from Kaplan books and textbooks and destroyer) that I would include.