Newish attending: Ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You still have to work nights, weekends, and holidays.

I've seen your post where it shows you're fairly burned out. How long did it take for you to get there?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen your post where it shows you're fairly burned out. How long did it take for you to get there?

Pretty early. I'm really intolerant of nights- probably should have picked a different field for that reason alone.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty early. I'm really intolerant of nights- probably should have picked a different field for that reason alone.
It's funny because I used to hate nights in residency but now actually grown on me. Less psycho nurses, less general noise, less admin trolling about. Actually thinking of becoming nocturnist to trade for shift reduction / more flexibility.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm feeling a little burned out too and I'm just about to graduate residency. I'm hoping that it's better once I'm on my own. I don't like presenting to certain attendings anymore especially since I moonlight a decent amount on the side.

I can't sleep during the day, so it's not really a preference thing. I really need a job with a predictable schedule. YMMV, and I think this is a me (and Birdstrike) problem.

I'm feeling a little burned out too and I'm just about to graduate residency. I'm hoping that it's better once I'm on my own. I don't like presenting to certain attendings anymore especially since I moonlight a decent amount on the side.
I think that's pretty normal. I felt the same way.

Normal. I had a similar experience. However, whether moonlighting or not, people commonly find that they learn more about their own practice style and pattern in the 1-2 years following residency than they do while actually in residency. Gave me more insight as to the many roads to Dublin in getting **** done in the ED safely, and why.