Newly Trained Physicians Swamped With Job Choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

"Conducted by Merritt Hawkins, a national physician search firm and a company of AMN Healthcare, the survey examines the career choices, plans and expectations of physicians in their final year of residency training. Two-thirds (66 percent) said they received 51 or more job solicitations during their training, while 45 percent received 100 or more. The majority (64 percent) said they were contacted too many times by recruiters." :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I was never recruited by anyone lol. I had more open fellowship advertisements in the prods email list than I had job offers!!!!

Talked to a buddy in medicine. Primary care is in demand if you enjoy it. You will get a job easily. 250-300k doing outpatient. 3 years only.

Pathology is a buyers market unfortunately.

I saw a handful recruitment flyers in my mail box about 15 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Relative of mine is finishing up Psych and said she has had many offers.

Which market is worse Path or Rad Onc?

Rad onc is harder to recruit in rural areas compare to path. ( Based on my very limited experience )

"Conducted by Merritt Hawkins, a national physician search firm and a company of AMN Healthcare, the survey examines the career choices, plans and expectations of physicians in their final year of residency training. Two-thirds (66 percent) said they received 51 or more job solicitations during their training, while 45 percent received 100 or more. The majority (64 percent) said they were contacted too many times by recruiters." :laugh::laugh::laugh:

View attachment 271779
I get telephone and e-mail solicitations frequently---asking me if i need another full time,part time or locum tenens pathologist

I only get the rare (one or less every 6 months) solicitation in a generic mass distributed email asking me if I'm interested and available for a locums gig at some random Midwest practice. There has never been a moment in my 10 years where there's been a flurry of recruiters or practices trying to get me to sign on in pathology. And when I was looking for a job I had ZERO recruiting offers for a full time position.

I actually would go so far as to say that going to recruitment fairs as a pathology trainee, or even bothering with recruiters, is a total waste of time. I went twice to these job fairs they put on annually and I was treated like a homeless bum that wandered in. Even the military reps there weren't sure if they had anything for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Pathology is like the NBA. You ask your buddies to join you to form superteams.

Reactions: 2 users
This has never been a pathology problem. This will never be a pathology problem. The oversupply/training is constant. The future is oversupply. Stay away from this field. Don't throw away your hard work for this field. It will only get worse. This will be used to add more training programs for pathologists.

Lol dont expect recruiters to come looking for you. You will be looking for recruiters to find you a job.

I get a fair number of solicitations per month (2-5). Some are Locums jobs, but more are administrative type jobs (CMO, Lab Director, Medical Director). It may be more to do with my specialty (molecular). I really don't get any solicitations for AP jobs, but that makes sense. Locums just need warm bodies.

Dermatologist here. Sorry to hear about the woes in the job market. Our market isn’t what it used to be but I still get 1-2 new recruiting emails a day, occasionally a call or text although I have no idea how they manage to get my number. That being said, several of my dermpath friends have made fortunes (literally 10x what I make)... not sure if this is still possible (they/I all trained 15 years ago). So maybe path is more of a bipolar distribution than other specialties?

So let’s be conservative and say you make 200,000. Your friends are making 2,000,000????!!!!????

So let’s be conservative and say you make 200,000. Your friends are making 2,000,000????!!!!????

Far more than that.... Not off their own labor purely though (think selling to a larger entity and getting mounds of cash plus management opportunities)

I will say for the first time EVER Im getting a steady stream of recruiters contacting me. Honestly I have no clue why either. Why they would possibly think that the great LADOC would work some trash locums gig in Bakersfield is beyond me, would Marshmello agree to DJ some kindergarten graduation for 20 bucks? Prob not.

But that is new. Yes, they are gigs in the absolutely worst places on Earth, Bakersfield, Syria, North Korea etc, but recruiters are actually have to go begging now for recruits.

Looks like there is an actual end to the endless stream of foreign pathologists willing to eat hot garbage in some armpit location for 800 bucks a day (or 200 less than a nurse or teenage hooker).

BUT dont count on this ray of sunshine amounting to much, already they are talking about digitizing cases to some massive central facility likely in Bombay India to be read for pennies on the dollar when the old timers kick off in the coming years.

Im soooo glad Im on the back 9 of my career ladies and gentlemen:

lol Marshmello youre really hip dude

Last edited:
I will say for the first time EVER Im getting a steady stream of recruiters contacting me. Honestly I have no clue why either. Why they would possibly think that the great LADOC would work some trash locums gig in Bakersfield is beyond me, would Marshmello agree to DJ some kindergarten graduation for 20 bucks? Prob not.

But that is new. Yes, they are gigs in the absolutely worst places on Earth, Bakersfield, Syria, North Korea etc, but recruiters are actually have to go begging now for recruits.

Looks like there is an actual end to the endless stream of foreign pathologists willing to eat hot garbage in some armpit location for 800 bucks a day (or 200 less than a nurse or teenage hooker).

BUT dont count on this ray of sunshine amounting to much, already they are talking about digitizing cases to some massive central facility likely in Bombay India to be read for pennies on the dollar when the old timers kick off in the coming years.

Im soooo glad Im on the back 9 of my career ladies and gentlemen:
View attachment 272282

The 19th hole is better