News for Puerto Rico

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hambre

Puerto Rico Optometry
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes dear friend, not too worry!!!

As we were notified by the Accred council today (as no doubt you read in previous posts!) things are changing.
The US Congress along with the National Board of Education have created rules and guidelines (as of Dec 07). The NBE is actually who accreditates the Accreditation council to accred other schools of optometry (try saying that 5x fast!). So... they decided that the National Board (or NBEO) is the only way to "prove" a student/doctor has knowledge to be a doctor.
Heres the good news- starting across the states, all schools, everyone- the ultimate minimum for a schools pass rate is 70% of students. This will start either this next board offering or the next (they said it is up for a vote which it will begin, within their own council)
If a school is under 70% for 3 years consecutively, then measures will be taken and an investigation will take place. If they are still under after 4 consecutive years then the accreditation will be an issue.
per Dr Roark, chairman of the visiting council.

If you've heard my gripe about boards and our unwillingness of our administration to do anything--- - well, here is our accountability finally. Things should be changing.
There is alot that needs to be changed, but this is our biggest issue. Once this gets into play, and administration makes the needed changes, then i 'might' say thats its okay to come here.
This is good news for you guys who are nervous about coming. Change is coming--
Like Barak Obama- change is good and hope is alive!

have a terrific night!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes dear friend, not too worry!!!

As we were notified by the Accred council today (as no doubt you read in previous posts!) things are changing.
The US Congress along with the National Board of Education have created rules and guidelines (as of Dec 07). The NBE is actually who accreditates the Accreditation council to accred other schools of optometry (try saying that 5x fast!). So... they decided that the National Board (or NBEO) is the only way to "prove" a student/doctor has knowledge to be a doctor.
Heres the good news- starting across the states, all schools, everyone- the ultimate minimum for a schools pass rate is 70% of students. This will start either this next board offering or the next (they said it is up for a vote which it will begin, within their own council)
If a school is under 70% for 3 years consecutively, then measures will be taken and an investigation will take place. If they are still under after 4 consecutive years then the accreditation will be an issue.
per Dr Roark, chairman of the visiting council.

If you've heard my gripe about boards and our unwillingness of our administration to do anything--- - well, here is our accountability finally. Things should be changing.
There is alot that needs to be changed, but this is our biggest issue. Once this gets into play, and administration makes the needed changes, then i 'might' say thats its okay to come here.
This is good news for you guys who are nervous about coming. Change is coming--
Like Barak Obama- change is good and hope is alive!

have a terrific night!

This school should seriously be shut down. I don't know why anyone with a brain can't get into an OD school in the states and have to go to PR. I think the AOA really need to do something about schools that educate their students to the point that most of them bomb the living s*** out the NBEO part I. AOA also needs to do something to halt the number of OD schools or at least try to decrease enrollment across the board for all schools to compensate for the number of ODs that will be added to the market by the 3 new schools. WTF.... this is so frustrating, but not much I can do about after spending 100 grand already. Why is optometry so saturated while other health professions with at least 4 yrs of post college education seem so much more stable and prosperous? Just go to their forums, being dentist, medical, pharmacy, or even podiatry. No one talks about how saturated or difficult it is to make money, etc. I need to go to my Grand Rounds now, not because I want to, but because I need to get signed off. Apology for the ranting.