1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Newsweek article about peds residents and Boston Childrens

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by CTWhale, Dec 3, 2008.

1. CTWhale

CTWhale New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. antihero94

antihero94 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  4. zoondel

zoondel SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The part-time residency thing sounds really interesting! Is it a 6-year program, or less than that? Are there any such programs in the NY area?

Thanks!

5. zola

zola Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I don't know the specifics about the part-time option for this program, but usually they are twice as long as whatever the normal residency is - so for peds, obviously 6 years.

The lame thing about them, in my opinion, is that the ones I know about are not part-time as in more reasonable hours, but are usually set up as an every-other-month thing. So for most people who have a reason such as a child to want a part-time residency, this is just a logistical nightmare. Every-other-month daycare does not exist. And if you wanted to do it to make something like breastfeeding easier, obviously this would not really help. I understand that in terms of scheduling people this might be the only way to do it, but I was kind of disappointed when I learned more about how they actually work.

6. RuralMedicine

RuralMedicine Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I believe the requirement that residents work full time while working is actually an ABP/AAP requirement if residents wish to get credit for their training.