Newsweek article about peds residents and Boston Childrens

Started by CTWhale
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The part-time residency thing sounds really interesting! Is it a 6-year program, or less than that? Are there any such programs in the NY area?

Thanks!
I don't know the specifics about the part-time option for this program, but usually they are twice as long as whatever the normal residency is - so for peds, obviously 6 years.

The lame thing about them, in my opinion, is that the ones I know about are not part-time as in more reasonable hours, but are usually set up as an every-other-month thing. So for most people who have a reason such as a child to want a part-time residency, this is just a logistical nightmare. Every-other-month daycare does not exist. And if you wanted to do it to make something like breastfeeding easier, obviously this would not really help. I understand that in terms of scheduling people this might be the only way to do it, but I was kind of disappointed when I learned more about how they actually work.
 
I don't know the specifics about the part-time option for this program, but usually they are twice as long as whatever the normal residency is - so for peds, obviously 6 years.

The lame thing about them, in my opinion, is that the ones I know about are not part-time as in more reasonable hours, but are usually set up as an every-other-month thing. So for most people who have a reason such as a child to want a part-time residency, this is just a logistical nightmare. Every-other-month daycare does not exist. And if you wanted to do it to make something like breastfeeding easier, obviously this would not really help. I understand that in terms of scheduling people this might be the only way to do it, but I was kind of disappointed when I learned more about how they actually work.

I believe the requirement that residents work full time while working is actually an ABP/AAP requirement if residents wish to get credit for their training.