Next Hurdle--Dissertation Proposal Defense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I have put the finishing touches on my proposal and my Chair is fine with it the way it stands. Title: "Reliability and Factor Structure of the Combat Readiness Questionnaire."

Anyone who has been through the process please chime in on do's/don'ts in the meeting.

Members don't see this ad.

Do know your proposal through and through.
Don't take things personally.
Do be open-minded and be prepared to change your proposal in response to your committee's points. Remember, they're experts.
Don't forget that it's OK to say "that's a really good point, and one that I hadn't considered..."
Do remember that being able to respond to criticism is an important component of your training.

Personally, I found the diss proposal to be much harder than the comps defense. But I'm sure it varies by university. Good luck! :luck:

Don't forget that it's OK to say "that's a really good point, and one that I hadn't considered..."

Do remember that being able to respond to criticism is an important component of your training.

Those are both great points (both of which I was going to write.....). When I was going back and forth with my supervisor, he was nit-picking all sorts of stuff, and I had to remind myself that he wasn't nit-picking me, but trying to help shape my work. In the end it really did help, and his points were valid.

Oh, make sure to have a good friend or two you can vent to....that really helped me after some of my meetings. :D