Next paper is getting a commentary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GWD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my next paper is being published June 1st.

Just found out that there is going to be a commentary based on the paper in the same volume. On top of that, the commentary is being written by one of the leading investigators in my field... someone who's papers I've been reading since I got started.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, I'm intrigued because I think the work is going to have a substantial impact on the field... not only that they are devoting a commentary to it, but also considering who it is being written by.

I just don't know if the content is going to be supportive, or if they are going to come out in opposition. The work is sound though, so even if they are critical of the report, at least they are going to have to do some work to disprove it.

Anybody else have any similar experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it. Commentaries are rarely negative; they're usually more in the "and this fits in with this emerging line of inquiry" vein. If it's going to be highly critical the editors will likely give you a chance to respond beforehand. Consider it an honor that they're commenting, not a source of worry.

Ari

The critical stuff will come in the form of Letters to the Editor, usually a few weeks to months after publication. Often, it will not be from leaders in the field, but regular people who have valid criticisms that the editors feel should be aired. If this happens, you would have the chance to both shoot down the Letter, or if not then reply to the Letter. That's at least how it works in Science.

Members don't see this ad :)
The editors sent us the commentary.

It was very complimentary, but unfortunately the reviewer sorta scooped my thesis.

Although his thoughts were brilliant... and probably correct... it hasn't been proven yet.

Regardless, he probably has his staff working on it well in advance of myself reading his thoughts, so I doubt I will be able to beat them to the punch.

Oh well.. life goes on... it's not the only mule in my bucket!

Look out for "This fits in line with data I will be presenting in a few months . . . " :)