Next Semester: Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AStudentDoctor

Mind Grenade
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this semester seem crazy?

(3) CHE 530 Fundamentals of Biochemistry; HARD
(3) BIO 528 Neurobiology; AUDITING - HARD
(3) BIO 321 Cell Biology: Mechanisms; HARD
(4) BIO 300 Microbiology + Lab; MEDIUM
(3) PHY 130 Physics I (Algebra-Based); MEDIUM
(1) PHY 131 Physics I Lab; EASY
(3) ENG 102 Writing II; EASY

TOTAL: 20 Credit Hours; 17 Taking; 3 Auditing

Note: Really taking Neurobiology because its only offered like once every 4 years and it seems just awesome-- but obviously for fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Note: Really taking Neurobiology because its only offered like once every 4 years and it seems just awesome-- but obviously for fun.

Wow, that sounds rough. If you can afford to spread it out, I would suggest doing so. You don't want to risk hurting your GPA before applying to Pharmacy schools.

I don't want to count my chickens, but I believe I will get accepted this cycle to Pharmacy School. In the case that I do, I want to go ahead and take as many courses as I can to further my knowledge in order to make PSchool that much easier.

Hopefully thats not flawed logic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to count my chickens, but I believe I will get accepted this cycle to Pharmacy School. In the case that I do, I want to go ahead and take as many courses as I can to further my knowledge in order to make PSchool that much easier.

Hopefully thats not flawed logic.

I respect this logic. If you don't think the credit load will hamper your learning experience then go for it.

I keep looking this list over and think "there's no way I could actually do this." Bad sign. Maybe I should audit the Cell Bio aswell.

I'll be the pessimistic a-hole here. Too me it looks like you're doing it just to say you did it as an ego boost. I could be wrong, but that's what I got out of the whole post.

Don't do it.
Lol this whole thread sounds like the people who play it safe who say to the guy who's about to die a bloody gory death "don't do it!" and then he does it...and then he is stabbed in the heart while not looking...and then the safers say "we told him not to do it...". lol well good luck man, we'll miss you. :rolleyes:

Lol this whole thread sounds like the people who play it safe who say to the guy who's about to die a bloody gory death "don't do it!" and then he does it...and then he is stabbed in the heart while not looking...and then the safers say "we told him not to do it...". lol well good luck man, we'll miss you. :rolleyes:

I think you're rather misconstruing what others are saying. For one, if the OP truly wants to do this, he risks burning himself out before he starts pharmacy school. Generally you want to start Pharm School as fresh as you can because school will be a marathon for the next 3-4 years.

I think you're rather misconstruing what others are saying. For one, if the OP truly wants to do this, he risks burning himself out before he starts pharmacy school. Generally you want to start Pharm School as fresh as you can because school will be a marathon for the next 3-4 years.
Oh I know, I agree with them, I'm just saying it reminded me of like a scene from a movie :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be the pessimistic a-hole here. Too me it looks like you're doing it just to say you did it as an ego boost. I could be wrong, but that's what I got out of the whole post.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Maybe if I knew you guys in real life and I did a pimp walk up to you while throwing my schedule in your face I could see where you might get that idea.

However this is online, and I truly just wanted an opinion. I actually enjoy learning but its really tough because I can be overambitious at times. If I stayed in school I'd probably try for a bunch more majors just because learning fascinates me.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Maybe if I knew you guys in real life and I did a pimp walk up to you while throwing my schedule in your face I could see where you might get that idea.

However this is online, and I truly just wanted an opinion. I actually enjoy learning but its really tough because I can be overambitious at times. If I stayed in school I'd probably try for a bunch more majors just because learning fascinates me.

Honestly, if you thin you are in pharmacy school, why don't you reward yourself with a break. Everyone will still be on the same page as you when school starts so what's the point? Relax, and enjoy a lighter schedule. Maybe take up a hobby or try things you haven't done before.

Honestly, if you thin you are in pharmacy school, why don't you reward yourself with a break. Everyone will still be on the same page as you when school starts so what's the point? Relax, and enjoy a lighter schedule. Maybe take up a hobby or try things you haven't done before.

I guess I just want a jump start because I know how hard the transition from HS to College was and it'd be nice to do it the "right" way this time.

Does anyone know if any of these classes WONT be that useful for PSchool?

Agreed

Easiest Route Would Be:

14 Credit Hours

Easiest Route Would Be:

14 Credit Hours

Much better. It will still be a tough semester IMO, but not nearly as difficult.

There is a point. Not everybody starts on the same page in pharmacy school and if you go into it with more background knowledge, you don't have to work as hard. I'll give you two examples. My friend worked as a tech for 15 years before getting in and I volunteered in a pharmacy for a few months but didn't get to do anything substantial. When we have to learn drugs, in a lot of cases, she already knows the brand and generic names, the indications, and sometimes dosages. I, on the other hand, know nothing and have to work harder. In another example, our next block is biostats but a stats class was not a prereq for our school. I took it so when we have to do problems, I'm working on the problems at the same time that the prof is explaining the concepts to the people who have no idea what is going on. I have to work less hard in this case. More work now means less work down the road means more time for stress reducing activities.

There is an added benefit as well. That tough schedule will be like what you see in pharmacy school and people will have to adjust. If you get used to something like that before pharmacy school starts, it won't be as much of an adjustment.

To the OP, I say go for it if you think you can handle it and it won't mess up your chances of getting into pharmacy school.

Honestly, that type of things happen a lot. Some people need a big ego boost and they use what classes they take to do so. Wouldn't be the first time someone has bragged about what classes they were gonna take.

It's kinda like when you have someone getting tons of pain meds on a regular basis. Sure they may actually need them, but instict tells you to be rather weary. Sorry, but that was just my past experience, so naturally I thought I would ask.

There is a point. Not everybody starts on the same page in pharmacy school and if you go into it with more background knowledge, you don't have to work as hard. I'll give you two examples. My friend worked as a tech for 15 years before getting in and I volunteered in a pharmacy for a few months but didn't get to do anything substantial. When we have to learn drugs, in a lot of cases, she already knows the brand and generic names, the indications, and sometimes dosages. I, on the other hand, know nothing and have to work harder. In another example, our next block is biostats but a stats class was not a prereq for our school. I took it so when we have to do problems, I'm working on the problems at the same time that the prof is explaining the concepts to the people who have no idea what is going on. I have to work less hard in this case. More work now means less work down the road means more time for stress reducing activities.

There is an added benefit as well. That tough schedule will be like what you see in pharmacy school and people will have to adjust. If you get used to something like that before pharmacy school starts, it won't be as much of an adjustment.

To the OP, I say go for it if you think you can handle it and it won't mess up your chances of getting into pharmacy school.

Yeah, you are right for the most part, but honestly I highly doubt the struggling is significant. That's why they accept students with no experience in pharmacy etc. I busted my ass in undergrad so I felt I deserved a break from the books and needed to relax before pharmacy school started. I anticipate it being pretty rough the next four years.

The only thing I am going to do is ask the pharmacists I work with a billion questions. IF I have time (which, I am sure I will since I will only be working over the summer and not taking classes), I might make my own drug cards. Other than that, I will spend time up north and at the pool!

And to the OP, don't burn yourself out...really.

I will be completing my Bachelors this May in three years, having constantly overloaded every single semester and took classes every summer and winter. I'm feeling really burned out right now and am currently experiencing close to zero motivation to go on to that finish line.

So speaking from experience, my advice to you is don't overload, get too tired, and eventually kill your passion for learning. Learning about new stuff is fun, sure, but don't let learning TOO MUCH all at once be the factor which prevents you from truly enjoying the process.

My 2cents.