Vanquish

Soldier of Fortune
10+ Year Member
May 12, 2010
493
1
Status
Hi guys. I really need your expert advice regarding my plans for the 2012 match. I am an IMG and I recently gave my step 1. I am still waiting for the result. I would like to apply for the 2012 match but I realize I am at a perplexing crossroads here because I still have not given my step 2 CS or CK.:rolleyes: What I would like to know is which step do I give next in order to garner the greatest number of interviews come november/december.:confused: I know I am treading in difficult waters here, nevertheless, I would still like any advice and guidance you guys can give me. You guys have been like a beacon to me showing me the way before and I need your assistance now (esp. kryptik, vicihinill, etc):)
 

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
1,480
4
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys. I really need your expert advice regarding my plans for the 2012 match. I am an IMG and I recently gave my step 1. I am still waiting for the result. I would like to apply for the 2012 match but I realize I am at a perplexing crossroads here because I still have not given my step 2 CS or CK.:rolleyes: What I would like to know is which step do I give next in order to garner the greatest number of interviews come november/december.:confused: I know I am treading in difficult waters here, nevertheless, I would still like any advice and guidance you guys can give me. You guys have been like a beacon to me showing me the way before and I need your assistance now (esp. kryptik, vicihinill, etc):)
Have you done your third year of school yet? I can't envision a scenario where one takes step 1 and then step 2 before step 1 scores are even back.
 

Captopril

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2008
740
13
The ICU
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hi guys. I really need your expert advice regarding my plans for the 2012 match. I am an IMG and I recently gave my step 1. I am still waiting for the result. I would like to apply for the 2012 match but I realize I am at a perplexing crossroads here because I still have not given my step 2 CS or CK.:rolleyes: What I would like to know is which step do I give next in order to garner the greatest number of interviews come november/december.:confused: I know I am treading in difficult waters here, nevertheless, I would still like any advice and guidance you guys can give me. You guys have been like a beacon to me showing me the way before and I need your assistance now (esp. kryptik, vicihinill, etc):)
Unfortunately, it might be too late for this match. You would pretty much have to have taken your CS already (or whenever the cut-off is for an October score release)...AND you will have to take your step 2 CK in about 4-5 weeks at the very latest. Honestly, as an IMG, it just isn't very feasible to get interviews without ECFMG certification before early October. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it will be extremely tough.

If you can get into a timeline where you get both scores by early October, then go for it. Otherwise, focus on getting good scores and build up your CV for the next match (or apply very conservatively this match just to have a shot at the scramble without spending too much cash).
 
About the Ads

kryptik

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
912
7
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I concur with captopril if you have already graduated, if you are in your last year of your international school you have a chance for interviews if you can take CK/CS in the next couple weeks and apply sensibly as mentioned above. For the CS you can sign up for the alerts so you get an email when a slot becomes available or you can do what i did and just refresh the cs page every couple of seconds till you get a spot since usually before those alerts make it to your inbox they are already filled.
 

SweetTonics

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
79
0
I know many IMGs who didn't have ECFMG certif by Oct and haven't had too much trouble getting interviews. You just can't apply to programs that require it before you apply. Don't get me wrong, your chances of getting an interview are MUCH better having it, but it won't make or break you.
Now, interviews without CK is difficult, and without CS - near impossible for an IMG, from what I understand. You should maximize your chances of getting an interview the first time around. Unless you absolutely need to match this year for financial reasons or otherwise, I agree with captopril - build your CV and have a stellar application instead of scrambling for a shot in the dark. imo, Not applying >>>>>> Not matching! Good luck to ya!
 

Vanquish

Soldier of Fortune
10+ Year Member
May 12, 2010
493
1
Status
Would like to update by saying that I got my report back for step 1 and i got a 244/99....Does this change at all what all the OP said??? I want to go into IM or EM. What are my options now?? Any input from someone wise??:confused:
 
Sep 19, 2011
5
0
Texas
Status
Non-Student
That's a good Step 1 score, but have you signed up for Step 2 yet? Isn't the deadline to take Step 2 CK and CS is December 31, 2011? You may find it difficult to get an open slot if you haven't even requested an eligibility period. As an IMG, it's going to be very difficult for you to get an interview if you haven't taken Step 2, but it's not impossible. I've heard back from some of our students who are scheduled to take Step 2 CK or CS in the next couple of months and who have been called for interviews(although each has taken one part of Step 2). Do you have US clinical experience? Have you already gotten an ERAS account? Time is of the essence here.
 

Vanquish

Soldier of Fortune
10+ Year Member
May 12, 2010
493
1
Status
Hi cartoria. Would like to add further that I already gave step 2 CS on sept 8 and will most likely get result around mid october. Still havent given CK though... Havent registered for ERAS yet... Im still on the fence right this moment and am trying to make up my mind right now. I have 2 months experience in the US working in evanston northwestern as well as northwestern memorial hospital. But they were both observerships (not hands-on). Can you advise further what I should do now? Im really in a jam here. :confused:
 
About the Ads