Next Steps, Post Bac, Master, SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnyayT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There, I'm on a journey to get into med school. But I'm definitely not the ideal candidate, and I need some advice on what program to go into, because I know there's no way of getting into med school with my stats.

cGPA: 3.2 - sgpa: 2.9.

1st half of undergrad i wasn't that serious or disciplined when it came to my grades. Halfway through I went through some personal things and turned everything around and got Deans List for 5 semesters (in my upper level classes) until I graduated. I have completely different study and work habits. But i was only at a 2.9 by graduation, this May.

I have a little shadowing of a family doc and some volunteering in the Adult & Pediatric EDs, Trauma Unit, and have observed some surgeries, which I will continue, I haven't hit 100hrs yet and want to surpass that. I truly loved the experience. I'm also applying to be a medical scribe. (I'm too excited!) I did some research in undergrad with my Genetics professor but it didnt give any good results unfortunately. Ive done good things and plan to improve on them, but I'm most focused on my grades.

I'm an URM - I applied to 3 programs, Rowan's MBS, Rutgers MBS, and my school's MS in molec. bio. I was accepted to Rowan and my school. But Rowan is just too far from me, I can't afford the education AND living expenses. So I committed to my school. However, i read alot of threads here on how a simple thesis-based masters doesn't necessarily help with a weak undergrad performance because the grades are inflated? But i also saw some responses on how some people did lots of research w/a masters and got accepted because of that research. I don't want to pursue an expensive degree and do all the coursework if all that will matter is the research project. I also read about post-baccs but I saw some threads speak on how they're for a career change or something? or that it's just like undergrad? I'm unclear on post-baccs. Then for SMPs, the only option I have is Rutgers' MBS. I was rejected from there. But we looked further into it and it seems that the problem was my GRE score, so I'm thinking I'll study and retake it and reapply (The school's hospital is where I did my volunteering). I honestly cant afford any graduate level programs out of the state. So it seems Rutgers and perhaps my schools MS are my options. And I don't know what to do. I did alot of reading before posting this and some info seems to conflict. So I'd really appreciate any advice ya'll can give me on how to proceed? Ive reached out to my school's pre-medical advisor twice this month with no response. What kind of program is best given my circumstances? I have not taken the MCAT yet and am not opposed to DO schools. I should also mention I do have a D on my transcript in an upper level class (Orgo2), so I definitely need to do something to fix that. I've already used the 2 chances my school have to replace grades (for 2 different classes, back when I was undisciplined). I know I can become a doctor, and I will. I am extremely confident in my ability to do so because the type of student I am has changed. I cannot see myself doing any other career. I'm willing to do the work. I just need some guidance ya'll. Don't want to make any costly$$ mistakes. Please help a sista out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would do a DIY post-bacc. I recommend that you attend a community college (it's cheap) and retake courses you may want to retake or take more UD science courses (your choice). While you're there, always do at least 3 courses and I recommend you get an EMT certification. With the certification you can work as an ER tech, make money, gain invaluable clinical experience and make you VERY attractive to many medical schools. So it's simple, follow this formula and I believe you'll have a shot. Take science courses to increase your GPA, volunteer throughout your gap years (I recommend 2), take EMT cert + get ER tech position or similar position (this gives you a job + clinical experience. Do all of this simultaneously for 2 years. = PROFIT.

Sometimes all you need is consistency to show you're mature. I believe in you, you got this.

GOOD LUCK.

EDIT: Take MCAT, do well, obviously. Before you begin to study make sure you do your research and have a plan. That's #1 mistake a lot of people make and then they do terribly.

Reactions: 1 users
I would do a DIY post-bacc. I recommend that you attend a community college (it's cheap) and retake courses you may want to retake or take more UD science courses (your choice). While you're there, always do at least 3 courses and I recommend you get an EMT certification. With the certification you can work as an ER tech, make money, gain invaluable clinical experience and make you VERY attractive to many medical schools. So it's simple, follow this formula and I believe you'll have a shot. Take science courses to increase your GPA, volunteer throughout your gap years (I recommend 2), take EMT cert + get ER tech position or similar position (this gives you a job + clinical experience. Do all of this simultaneously for 2 years. = PROFIT.

Sometimes all you need is consistency to show you're mature. I believe in you, you got this.

GOOD LUCK.

EDIT: Take MCAT, do well, obviously. Before you begin to study make sure you do your research and have a plan. That's #1 mistake a lot of people make and then they do terribly.
----
Thank you. About the cc courses, I took alot of science courses obv, so I think it'd prob be best to just take the ones I got a C or lower in which is just a handful, (btw is physics important enough to retake? I heard there's barely even any questions for it on the MCAT. I passed both 1 & 2 just with a C tho). Also, I heard some Med schools tend to look down on cc courses. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok. Why is that? Is it because I've already taken these courses? I know these are dumb questions, I'm sorry lol
Students attending a 4 year university who take the more difficult courses at a CC are viewed askance.

Students attending a CC are fine. Taking classes after graduation is fine.

Students attending a 4 year university who take the more difficult courses at a CC are viewed askance.

Students attending a CC are fine. Taking classes after graduation is fine.

--

Ok, one more thing though. Will retaking only these classes I didnt do well in, at a CC help my GPA? Will it matter much or make a dent? Because I took every course needed and recommended for med school except Biochem (which I plan to take at a university once I save up). So all I have are these handful of UD classes I didnt do so well in. (C in Bio 1, GenChem2, Orgo1 & 2, and physics) I'm asking because I read grade replacement doesn't exist anymore for DO schools. Just want to clarify. What do retakes at a CC show them?

--

Ok, one more thing though. Will retaking only these classes I didnt do well in, at a CC help my GPA? Will it matter much or make a dent? Because I took every course needed and recommended for med school except Biochem (which I plan to take at a university once I save up). So all I have are these handful of UD classes I didnt do so well in. (C in Bio 1, GenChem2, Orgo1 & 2, and physics) I'm asking because I read grade replacement doesn't exist anymore for DO schools. Just want to clarify. What do retakes at a CC show them?
It would take years to bring up a sub-3.0 gpa. All undergrad grades are averaged whether they are repeated or taken at another school.We do see year by year totals, though.
You are better off going for a sharp reversal of your current trend.
One should only retake pre-req's with less than a C or if you need to master content.

It would take years to bring up a sub-3.0 gpa. All undergrad grades are averaged whether they are repeated or taken at another school.We do see year by year totals, though.
You are better off going for a sharp reversal of your current trend.
One should only retake pre-req's with less than a C or if you need to master content.

Ok so I'm in that predicament of having some grades less than a C. Theres also one class in which I need to master the content period because I received a D in that one. So, is retaking these C classes a solid plan or am I missing your point?

Ok so I'm in that predicament of having some grades less than a C. Theres also one class in which I need to master the content period because I received a D in that one. So, is retaking these C classes a solid plan or am I missing your point?
You are getting it.
It is a good idea to repeat a required course in which you received less than a C , or to master material required for the MCAT.

You are getting it.
It is a good idea to repeat a required course in which you received less than a C , or to master material required for the MCAT.

GOOD LUCK.

--

Great, thanks so much for your advice. Good to know I have a shot , without having to get an expensive MS that may or may not help. I'll knock these cc classes out the park and work hard on my ECs. thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user