Next steps? Reapply for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenturf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I applied this past cycle to 20 MD schools and 4 DO schools, received 5 IIs to MD schools, and am currently on 4 WLs (2 state schools, 1 low yield OOS, and 1 small program OOS). I'm planning on applying to a few 1-year MS or SMP programs to start this fall while doing more nonclinical volunteering. I'm also considering reapplying for med schools for entering in 2021, but I am certainly on the fence about this because I would be applying back-to-back without adding any significant new activities to my primary since my last app and I'll need to rework some notable changes into my PS/activities/essays soon at the very least. I believe two impactful mistakes I made this past cycle were: 1) my interview skills were not as great as they could have been and 2) I sent back most secondaries >1 month after receiving them. If anyone could share their thoughts or advice for me moving forward, I would really appreciate it!
  • Biology Major, Chemistry Minor
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
    • cGPA: 3.7
    • sGPA: 3.6
    • GPA trend was roughly 3.5, 3.6, 3.9, 3.9
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 511 (127/125/129/130) --> 511 (128/127/128/128) (in hindsight, it was very unwise of me to retake)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • VA
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • Asian
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • Good school in VA
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • Paid: Scribe (full time) – ~1500 hours over 1.5 years
    • Volunteer: Free Clinic MA – ~450 hours over 3.5 years
  • Research experience and productivity
    • No lab, but I did list 1 activity section as Research/Lab to write about 3 different projects (2 that were large parts of courses I took and 1 independent project I did at the free clinic)
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • Oncology - 100 hours
    • Anesthesiology - 5 hours
    • Pathology - 5 hours
    • EM - 20 hours
    • FM - 40 hours
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • Various projects through service club - 300 hours over 3 years
    • Several administrative tasks and community service events with the free clinic - 50 hours
  • Paid employment (not medical/clinical)
    • None
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • TA for introductory biology course - 100 hours
    • Service club project leadership role - 70 hours
    • Cultural dance club - 350 hours
    • Gap year was starting scribing (full time) and continuing to volunteer at free clinic
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Dean's List for last 5 semesters
    • Milestone award for nonclinical volunteering hours
  • LOR
    • 2 from science faculty
    • 1 from nonscience faculty
    • 1 from the free clinic's medical director

Members don't see this ad.

Some secondaries will ask if you have applied before, and if so, how your application has changed/improved. If you don’t have significant changes to add then I would wait a year. Many programs recommend not applying back to back. look at @gonnif prior posts in which he links multiple medical schools that do not recommend applying In back to back years.

Reactions: 1 users
Where were your interviews and wait lists this past cycle ? Which schools did you apply to ? Are you willing to apply to DO schools ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where were your interviews and wait lists this past cycle ? Which schools did you apply to ? Are you willing to apply to DO schools ?
Thank you both for your response! Yes, I'm certainly willing to apply to DO schools again. Last cycle's school list:

Albany Medical School
Cooper Rowan (II --> R)
Creighton
EVMS (II --> WL)
Frank H. Netter/Quinnipac (did not complete secondary)
Geisinger
George Washington (II --> WL)
Georgetown
Lewis Katz/Temple (II --> WL)
Loyola/Chicago Stritch
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYMC
Nova Southeastern
Robert Larner/UVT
Rush
Seton Hall-Hackensack (did not complete secondary)
Tulane (did not complete secondary)
VCU (II --> WL)
Wake Forest
Wright State/Boonshoft

VCOM (VA and SC)
LECOM
LUCOM
PCOM

You cannot receive an interview at a school unless you complete the secondary. Since you received 5 interviews and you are on 4 wait lists you obviously are seen as a desirable candidate to interview. You could reapply this cycle but include more schools. I am surprised you did not receive DO interviews.
I suggest these MD schools when you reapply:
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
UVA
West Virginia
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall