• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Next steps? Reapply for this cycle?

greenturf

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2019
Hi! I applied this past cycle to 20 MD schools and 4 DO schools, received 5 IIs to MD schools, and am currently on 4 WLs (2 state schools, 1 low yield OOS, and 1 small program OOS). I'm planning on applying to a few 1-year MS or SMP programs to start this fall while doing more nonclinical volunteering. I'm also considering reapplying for med schools for entering in 2021, but I am certainly on the fence about this because I would be applying back-to-back without adding any significant new activities to my primary since my last app and I'll need to rework some notable changes into my PS/activities/essays soon at the very least. I believe two impactful mistakes I made this past cycle were: 1) my interview skills were not as great as they could have been and 2) I sent back most secondaries >1 month after receiving them. If anyone could share their thoughts or advice for me moving forward, I would really appreciate it!
  • Biology Major, Chemistry Minor
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
    • cGPA: 3.7
    • sGPA: 3.6
    • GPA trend was roughly 3.5, 3.6, 3.9, 3.9
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 511 (127/125/129/130) --> 511 (128/127/128/128) (in hindsight, it was very unwise of me to retake)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • VA
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • Asian
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • Good school in VA
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • Paid: Scribe (full time) – ~1500 hours over 1.5 years
    • Volunteer: Free Clinic MA – ~450 hours over 3.5 years
  • Research experience and productivity
    • No lab, but I did list 1 activity section as Research/Lab to write about 3 different projects (2 that were large parts of courses I took and 1 independent project I did at the free clinic)
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • Oncology - 100 hours
    • Anesthesiology - 5 hours
    • Pathology - 5 hours
    • EM - 20 hours
    • FM - 40 hours
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • Various projects through service club - 300 hours over 3 years
    • Several administrative tasks and community service events with the free clinic - 50 hours
  • Paid employment (not medical/clinical)
    • None
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • TA for introductory biology course - 100 hours
    • Service club project leadership role - 70 hours
    • Cultural dance club - 350 hours
    • Gap year was starting scribing (full time) and continuing to volunteer at free clinic
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Dean's List for last 5 semesters
    • Milestone award for nonclinical volunteering hours
  • LOR
    • 2 from science faculty
    • 1 from nonscience faculty
    • 1 from the free clinic's medical director

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
  1. Medical Student
Some secondaries will ask if you have applied before, and if so, how your application has changed/improved. If you don’t have significant changes to add then I would wait a year. Many programs recommend not applying back to back. look at @gonnif prior posts in which he links multiple medical schools that do not recommend applying In back to back years.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

greenturf

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2019
Where were your interviews and wait lists this past cycle ? Which schools did you apply to ? Are you willing to apply to DO schools ?
Thank you both for your response! Yes, I'm certainly willing to apply to DO schools again. Last cycle's school list:

Albany Medical School
Cooper Rowan (II --> R)
Creighton
EVMS (II --> WL)
Frank H. Netter/Quinnipac (did not complete secondary)
Geisinger
George Washington (II --> WL)
Georgetown
Lewis Katz/Temple (II --> WL)
Loyola/Chicago Stritch
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYMC
Nova Southeastern
Robert Larner/UVT
Rush
Seton Hall-Hackensack (did not complete secondary)
Tulane (did not complete secondary)
VCU (II --> WL)
Wake Forest
Wright State/Boonshoft

VCOM (VA and SC)
LECOM
LUCOM
PCOM

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
1) getting a masters or SMP is a waste of time, effort and money as it will not improve your chances at all. You do not suffer from an academic deficiency. You have solid overall and great rising grade trend
2) You have sufficient clinical work via both paid and volunteer
3) It seems you only campus and/or own cultural non-clinical. Stepping out of your cultural comfort zone maybe helpful
4) you more than enough shadowing in fact perhaps too much
5) no research a negative but really not must of an impact
6) you got 5 interviews so your your application is solid, though I think your school list was a little too low in reach. I would readjust using GPA of 3.85 as "effective" (due to rising grade trend

7) having said all that and of course that just the level of competition, the issue here is likely you as a interviewee. Having a chinese wife and have dealt with many asian students, especially women, I am going out to make a guess that you are not forceful at selling yourself. I would take you likely well written application, make it tighter with themes in the PS that match themes in the EC, cross link those to themes in the secondaries, that show real passion, desire and sincerity as to you as a person. And then be able to show the energy in an interview.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
You cannot receive an interview at a school unless you complete the secondary. Since you received 5 interviews and you are on 4 wait lists you obviously are seen as a desirable candidate to interview. You could reapply this cycle but include more schools. I am surprised you did not receive DO interviews.
I suggest these MD schools when you reapply:
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
UVA
West Virginia
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
For DO schools consider these:
AZCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM

Reactions: 1 user

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
You cannot receive an interview at a school unless you complete the secondary. Since you received 5 interviews and you are on 4 wait lists you obviously are seen as a desirable candidate to interview. You could reapply this cycle but include more schools. I am surprised you did not receive DO interviews.
I would think the rising grade trend (3.9 last two years) made her seem likely for MD success and DO may not have wanted to use resources. Her 5 II would bear that out

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.