NHSC and future plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hipstraights

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am interested in the NHSC scholarship and the opportunity to work as a dentist in an underserved area of the country. I also have an interest in (possibly) specializing in an area other than pediatric dentistry. The sholarship and service commitment is designed for GP and pedo only, which I completely understand. However, would it be feasible to serve two years and then return to school to specialize, effectively utilizing my two years as a GPR/AEGD? Would it be looked upon favorably when my application to a specialty program was considered? Who knows, maybe I won't want to specialize, but I wouldn't want to commit myself to being a GP if that's not what I want to do for the rest of my career.