NHSC interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who applied for the scholarship from the National Health Service Corps heard back from them? Has anyone been invited to an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, I ain't heard nothin' yet from them about an interview. My app was complete a few weeks back.

According to that monstrous book they sent us along with the application, we won't get notified of interviews until "April-May."

The deadline for applications isn't until Friday, so I doubt they will start sending out invites until after that.

Don't sweat it... give it a few weeks and then start worrying ;)

Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
Since turning my application about a month ago, I have received two pieces of correspondence from them:

1) They asked for a copy of my school curriculum and I sent that in to them.

then,

2) Yesterday, I received a letter saying that a preliminary review of my application has been completed and that all application materials for my file are in their office.

Basically, they have all my stuff they need to review my application. No word yet about an interview though.

Good luck to everyone who has applied for the NHSC program. Hopefully, we'll all get interviews and be awarded the scholarship......

I thought I would post some useful info re: NHSC. I applied and got it prior to my first year of med school. The way the process works is they usually receive 2000-3000 mail applications nationwide. Remember this is open to MD, DO, Nurse Practitioner's and Midwives, so pretty competitive.

Of those mail applications, they give 800+ in person interviews at various cities around the US, mainly big cities (in CA, there was only LA and SF). I chose to do my interview in Los Angeles, but you get to choose the location once you get your letter letting you know that you advance to the next round of elimination. My suggestion is to call right away because dates fill up. You'll get a letter late April/May letting you know about the interviews.

Ok, of those 800 interviews, they usually award about 330 scholarships. Surprisingly, more than half the scholarships go to DO students, mainly because of their track record in going into primary care!

Once you find out whether or not you got the scholarship, usually in November, you have a week or so to decide. You can opt to receive the scholarship for a minimum of 2 yrs. So for those not sure about primary care, it's only a 2 yr commitment, but it is their hope that you will stay in that rural/urban area. If you are unsure about location, check out their website and see where sites are located, but remember these sites change from year to year depending on the needs of the medically underserved.

I had sumbitted this on a previous thread. But you won't find out re: interviews until May. Good luck :D