NHSC pros and cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wanted more insight into the NHSC primary care scholarship program and its impact on career flexibility.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was seriously considering applying to this but I backed out at the last minute. The benefits don't outweigh the commitments. You have to commit to a certain speciality (on pain of doubling your debts) as well as working at a really high need area with little control of where you actually end up for your service term, which could be for several years. You could end up 100s of miles from friends and family for the duration of your service.

Furthermore, if you really want to do NHSC with less commitment you could sign up for the loan repayment program after you finish the primary care residency of your choice. You can work for any FQHC (and there are tons) and you get a certain amount payed back to your loans for every year of service (no multiple year commitment) above your paycheck.Or better yet, get a job with loan repayment perks. As a physician you have options, there is no need to make these severe commitments.

fyi there are many threads on this subjects, a simple search of SDN will show you many people who did the program and offer their reviews.

Pro: $

Con: $$ & loss of freedom

Basically the same tradeoff as HPSP. Unless you really believe in the mission, and have enough to experience that you are going in with both eyes open, it doesn't make sense to do it.