NHSC question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihaterain123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing that when one applies for the NHSC scholarship program (thinking of doing the 3-year program), they can also apply for the students to service loan repayment as well... Is this true?

If so, NHSC requires 3 years of service and S2S requires minimum 3 years of service I believe. If you do both, do you have to serve 6 years or do they overlap so that you only serve 3 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, can you choose which school years you want to be covered (ie. tuition covers years 1, 2, and 3 vs 2, 3, and 4)? Currently not in dental school. Can I apply for the 3 year program or do I have to be D1 to apply for 3 year program?

What are some of the drawbacks to working in NHSC? Is it potentially dangerous if you choose an urban location?

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep hearing that when one applies for the NHSC scholarship program (thinking of doing the 3-year program), they can also apply for the students to service loan repayment as well... Is this true?

If so, NHSC requires 3 years of service and S2S requires minimum 3 years of service I believe. If you do both, do you have to serve 6 years or do they overlap so that you only serve 3 years?
I don’t believe you can do both of those programs concurrently. The S2S and scholarship application guidelines state that you cannot have other service commitments at the same time (and specifically mention each other). What I have heard of is after you have been awarded the scholarship, as long as there is not a conflict, some state programs will let you do a loan repayment at the same time as your NHSC scholarship service commitment.

You can kind of choose which years you receive funding for, but banking on years 2, 3, 4 is risky because you would have to know you would get it when you apply 1st year (which is impossible) or apply a year earlier and defer your first year. Isn’t 4th year usually the cheapest tho? I would think you would want the scholarship year 1, 2, 3. If you really only want 3 years, the way it would most likely work out is you apply right after you get accepted and, if you get it, take the 4 year scholarship (you can always refuse funding your 4th year). If you don’t, apply the next year and take the 3 year for years 2, 3, 4.

It can be potentially dangerous anywhere. It’s all about choosing the best fit for you when the time comes.

Yes, you can do both. Apply for the NHSC scholarship for a 2-3 years commitment. Apply it for year 1, 2 so the interest isn't accruing on the older loans. Then, you can only apply to S2S as a D4 not pre-dental. It's $120k for 3 year commitment which can pay off loans from year 3-4.

I think its a bit of an overkill tbh

Yes, you can do both. Apply for the NHSC scholarship for a 2-3 years commitment. Apply it for year 1, 2 so the interest isn't accruing on the older loans. Then, you can only apply to S2S as a D4 not pre-dental. It's $120k for 3 year commitment which can pay off loans from year 3-4.

I think its a bit of an overkill tbh
I’m not saying this isn’t true, but with the fact that this is specifically mentioned in the application guides as not being allowed, what exception am I missing that makes it possible to do both? Unless they are consecutive and not concurrent?

Also, how likely is it to find a position in Boston, Philly or Baltimore area? Those 3 locations are where I most likely want to work in. I already know dentists are saturated in major cities but I thought that was mostly for private practices... if I will be working in a federally qualified health center, then will I have a better shot as im guessing most dentists will not try to go for these positions?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile