NHSC questions for accepted scholars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chardrian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my 3rd year as an ob-gyn resident and am starting to get freaked out by my future job search prospects.

Is there anywhere to find out how many ob-gyn scholars there are for the year 2011?

Is there anywhere to find out previous NHSC ob-gyn job sites so that I can contact them about possible future job openings?

When do (or should) we actually start applying for jobs?

As it stands today (Dec. 4) there are only 25 vacancies on the NHSC job opportunities site for ob-gyns. I just want to avoid sitting around and waiting and crossing my fingers for a site to open if at all possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in pediatrics and not OB-GYN but generally there are 2 slots per scholar per year. People start applying fall of there final year of residency. You can start looking early but the website is not updated very often and will be very different when you start applying. The HPSA score may be different next year as well. You can find jobs outside the site but you need to be very aware of the score for the area you are looking and there is a bit of work in getting a site approved. You will have a job but you need to be flexible in location. Good luck.

There are not 2 openings per scholar for each specialty. OB gyn does not have that in its specialty. Good luck i will be in your shoes soon. Contact areas that are on the HRSA list as having a high enough score.

Keith

There are not 2 openings per scholar for each specialty. OB gyn does not have that in its specialty. Good luck i will be in your shoes soon. Contact areas that are on the HRSA list as having a high enough score.

Keith

This is true. If you have a specific region you are considering, I would look for ALL scholar positions available, to give you an idea of what clinics are in that region, and then start contacting every clinic in the region to ask if they know of anyone who would consider hiring an OB in the area. Unfortunately OBs have limited selection for sites. If possible, I would try to visit the region where you want to apply in person, and see if you can't work something out. Often smaller CHCs aren't aware of the job posting process, or don't want to waste resources doing the paperwork, only to not recruit anyone. With a little help, they can become qualified sites -but your clock is ticking, so I'd get started on that soon if you want to nudge a site along.

I would also contact IHS and USPHS directly to see if they can help you if you are considering entering either/both. The only place I know is consistently looking for Ob is rural HI. IMHO not a bad place to end up :)

Good luck!