nice economic news

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by izzygoer, Dec 10, 2008.

1. izzygoer

10+ Year Member

California and health care about to go over a cliff

" He [Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ] said in a press conference Wednesday in Sacramento that the deficit keeps increasing at the rate of $40 million a day, and that if nothing is done the state will run out of cash by the end of February."
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122895127850196211.html

Also from Business weeks CEO panel healthcare outlook
    RALPH DE LA TORRE, Caritas Christi Health Care

"Health care has been holding its breath. We live and die on the tax-free bond market, and right now we're dying. Projects are being postponed. All the commodities that health care buys and the companies and people it touches—from imaging to pharma to physicians—are about to dive off the cliff. The bond markets are closed tight. Until they reopen, we're going to have a big problem. I think there's going to be a pretty substantial consolidation in health care. As many as 20% of hospitals could close. There's going to be no capital spending for at least the next year or two. "

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_50/b4112063136304.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis

2. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Damn. We'll see how this plays out. Medi-CAL, California's Medicaid, is just messed up. And I have no freakin idea where they are wasting the tax revenue considering how high taxes are out there. I remember when their was a proposition on the ballet to increase the toll's on the bridges in the Bay Area another dollar to fund infrastructure... I voted no, but it passed. Then a year later, the legislature passed another dollar increase. Where is this money going, I don't know.

3. toughlife

toughlife Resident
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Lots of people leeching off the system.

4. Lonestar

Lonestar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Toughlife is correct. Lots of people leeching of the system. The system will eventually come crashing down. Oh wait, it already is crashing. How about we get some smart republicans into that state (not a fake one like that movie hero) and just say no to a lot of services and beuracracy. Thats a start. Then after 4 yrs if there is no improvement then we get rid of the current republicans who have not held a majority in that state for a long time.

5. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Arnold isn't all bad. He is trying his best to cut spending and get the budget under control. It has been all this bs spending, since even before he was there, that has been going on in the state that is causing its downfall. Also I still don't understand why California does not make a wall to secure it's border. It would decrease the demand of services in the ER.

6. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

How do things look for smaller practices? Nursing/care homes??

7. Lonestar

Lonestar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I see your point. BUT its real easy to be a populist and not a realist. Arnie yielded to the nursing and teacher's unions. REALLY now thats what i call guts.

The california legislature needs to be gutted. End of story.

8. CambieMD

CambieMD cambiemd
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is no one person or political party who can fix this problem. It simply cost too much to deliver healthcare is this country. The sad thing is that despite the great cost, healthcare in the US is not the best in the world. It doen't come close.

Universal healthcare is not the answer. Cost must be contained. The scales are presently too large.

I am not all that concerned about people coming accross the boarder into the US. I am more concerned about assets leaving the US. Do you know how much US debt is held by foreign countries.

The Republicans have been in charge for eight years. Look @ the mess that we are in. Look @ the economy.

The problem in Cali is complicated. Part of the problem is that too many people are incarcerated. It cost too much to take care of them. Cali spends more keping people looked up than it does on education.

Just my thoughts.

Cambie

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Taurus

Taurus Paul Revere of Medicine
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Like this nurse? How many states can afford to pay an RN $350k? No wonder Cali is going broke.

Citywide rank (total pay) 1
    Employee name CHRISTIAN KITCHIN
    Title SPECIAL NURSE
    Department DPH-Community Health Network
    Regular pay $117,262
    Overtime pay $216,277
    Other pay $16,785
    Total pay $350,324

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...