Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Nice way how to remind your Prof. AGAIN to write your letter of rec

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by keptium, Jul 20, 2002.

1. keptium

keptium Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone know a nice way to remind your Prof again to get around to writting your letter of rec? I gave him everything he needed back around in late April and he still hasn't done it! When I see him around campus I usually mention it, but he prolly forgets as soon as a I leave. I don't want to be a pest cuz he is writing my letter....but seriously....he's the only rec I'm waiting on......I'm thinking of sending harassing e-mails until he does it :)

2. jot

jot

there is no prb in sending him an e-mail about it - or reminding him in person - he most likely keeps on forgetting as you said. just paint a bit more dire picture (like you need it yesterday) or something like that. make sure you give a definitive date rather than "sometime soon". goodluck

3. Ceez

Ceez Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had the same problem last year when I applied. If I had to do it all over again, I would give the prof's a deadline. Otherwise there's no telling when they'll get to it. Just tell them something like, I would like to turn my LORs in within the next month since time is of the essence.

4. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you see him "around campus" you're both probably in the midst of doing something else. Your best bet is to catch him while he's in an office, with either an email (a polite one, not a harassing one) or a phone call/visit during office hours. Definitely give him a deadline -- many academics operate on the "11th hour" principle and anything due next month won't be started until next month. It's also a good idea to enlist some internal support -- is there a department secretary? Ask him/her if they have any advice about how to "motivate" this particular professor. They might have some insights; better yet, they might help you "harass" the prof on your behalf. We used to do this for our favorite students.

Good luck!

5. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent
    7+ Year Member

you know what i did...i sent a thank you card to their offices/homes with a note saying how much I appreciated their efforts on my behalf...asked them about their current work....nothing too long, but the next week, three more recs came in so i think it worked!! :laugh:

if that doesn't work,....then going with the e-mail/letter. my pre-health office told me just to tell them that the pre-med committee was pressuring me to get everything in now because they need to write the letter. i would then apologize for rushing them since i appreciate that they're writing the letter for me. that way they don't think it's you being ungrateful.

hope this helps!!

6. nylee

nylee Corean Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with Chopsuey...I think it's a good idea to give them a thank you card and maybe some pastries! :p I know how frustrating it can get. My committee advisor was so late in turning in the rec that my secondaries were reviewed late, and it caused so much stress and grief during that oh-so-sensitive time. He wouldn't answer my e-mails or return my phone calls. Once, he just left for vacation without telling me or the pre-med office! I think he eventually got fired from being a committee advisor. Nonetheless, I still got into my two top choices, Hopkins and Pritzker, so I guess it was sort of worth the pain. It's all about perseverance!

7. Med4ever

Med4ever Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The best way is to be clever and make it seem that you are not reminding him but giving him additional info. For example, send him an email saying " I think the postage on one of the envolopes was wrong I am going to drop by the correct postage for my LOR" that way it doesnt seem like you know he forgot, and it wont seem like you are pestering him. Good idea....nest pas

8. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Bake him/her COOKIES!!! It works every time!!! :)

9. Med4ever

Med4ever Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ur quote is from G funk intro right.

I know this doesnt have anything to do with aything but I want to know if im right.

10. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

threaten with beating him/her up with a 3ft french bread if LORs are not ready in a week.