Night-before-interview dinner

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by GoofyDoc, Nov 18, 2005.

1. GoofyDoc

GoofyDoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hello. This is my first time posting on this board, so forgive me if this question has been asked in the past. I'm applying this year to both OB and IM (very long story), and I have an interview with a particular program that also has a casual dinner the night before. For those of you who have been thru this type of thing before, how important is it to attend this dinner? It's not that I have a problem with dinners, it's just that the program is about an hour's drive away, and I don't know if I want to do that type of travel the night before an interview esp with a young baby at home. I also have another interview after the day after this one, so it would be back and forth for three days in a row. So I just want to know, can I politely decline without it being taken the wrong way, or should I really really try to go? :confused:

2. neilc

neilc 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

i can say that from an applicant perspective, i learn A LOT about the program from the night before social. it is a great time to have casual conversation with residents about how they like the program, how they get along. additionally, you get a great sense of facutly/resident interaction. to me, these are among the most important things when it comes down to deciding which programs i like.

most of the interview days have been very similar, you get asked (and ask) the same questions over an over. it is good information, but fairly generic, and not very enlightening or surprising. so, to me the interview dinner holds a lot of value.

as far as the program perspective, they don't seem to hold it against you if you can't be there. but, you do miss out on the conversations, and the programs also get a good idea about "fit" from these things. so, if you do well in social events, it certainly seems like it can help you out. but, i don't think there is a little box on the interview checklist to evaluate you at the dinners. so, you probably will not be dinged for missing it.

in short, i would say try to go if you can. any extra input on the program you may be spending 4 years with is very helpful. this input works for the programs evaluation of you as well. but, if you really can't go, don't stress about it.

hope this helps

3. GoofyDoc

GoofyDoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks! I guess I will do my best to attend.

4. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The only way you get any contact with the residents at UTHSC San Antonio is at the night-before dinner. I didn't go because I had a family thing, and I was very disappointed to not really meet any residents. They were all in didactics. Also, at the night-before dinner at LBJ, I met almost all the people who interviewed me beforehand, which made the interviews super casual and the questions seemed a lot more meaningful. I am going to do my best to make them all from here on out.

5. Diane L. Evans

Diane L. Evans SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The residents have a hige impact in evaluation of resident candidates. The dinners are a way to meet residents outside the hospital and ask questions. Most hospitals have few residents available during the day so I would take advantage of this. Also find a PGY3 and PGY4 resident you seem to get along with and ask for their email address keep in touch. All these emails are placed in a file and the communication sends out a green flag that you are interested.

Good luck Diane

6. starayamoskva

starayamoskva Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good advice except I would find a PGY, 2 or 3 to contact. The PGY 4's are on their way out the door before you show up and won't be as good a contact IMO. Also it depends upon the program whether or not the emails are placed in the file.