night calls in oncology

Started by Chandi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chandi

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am curious to know if there are any night calls in the single boarded medical oncology fellowship?
Thanks
 
Unless things are different now, you will usually have night call in oncology. I finished fellowship in 2004. Months like medical onc didn't generate too many calls, but a month like transplant usually had a call or two for fevers, etc. As I recall, it was heme, not onc, that generated the highest volume of night calls. On onc, 95% of the time the calls can be managed from home. The poor cardiology and GI fellows were always having to come in at night. I can't remember a time I saw, as a med student or resident, a Heme-Onc fellow at night!

Good luck, and please don't let the call in fellowship be the deciding reason you go into Onc!
Mike
 
Last edited: