Night Shift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does working night shift or 24's mess up anyone else's sleep patterns? :sleep: :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

it's not the nights or 24's so much but the alternating shifts
day/ off 24/ night/ off 18 /swing /off 8/ day
I much prefered 10 24's a month to 16 12's.

My favorite part of working full time EMS was the shift work and ALL the time off you got.

We worked anywhere from 9-11 24's/month.

24 on...24 off...24 on....24 off....24 on.........4 DAYS OFF....repeat.

yes....that is 4 days off every 5th day. wonderful life.......not too many other careers allow you to work 9-11 day/month.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
i usually work wednesday night and then any combination of friday, saturday, sunday midshifts. sometimes i'm scheduled wednesday night and friday morning and i hate that! since i find it difficult to sleep thursday nights and then i have to be back at 5:45 am friday. ugh!

Originally posted by 12R34Y
My favorite part of working full time EMS was the shift work and ALL the time off you got.

We worked anywhere from 9-11 24's/month.

24 on...24 off...24 on....24 off....24 on.........4 DAYS OFF....repeat.

yes....that is 4 days off every 5th day. wonderful life.......not too many other careers allow you to work 9-11 day/month.

later

When I did this type of schedule I usually had alternate types of work for even more income. It was pretty sweet.

I agree.....i always had another job in an ED or as an instructor or something part time for some extra cash.

took plenty of trips on those 4 off also.

ahhhhh, i miss those days.

now step 1 is trying to kill me.

I loved it when I worked 24 hour shifts.....I did love all the time off and it was great! What is killing me now is working nights and going to school by day.:(

Hubby used to work 24s and it sucked a lot. On all his days off he would either have class, being doing clinical rotations, or he'd be volunteering. Now he just works day shifts and while he has to wake up at 3:30 am (has to be in the next county over by 5 am), I get to see him in the evening.

you can sleep all night long OR you can be up running all night long............

you never can tell.

some of our stations were pretty rural and you could sleep like a baby.

other stations ran all night.

like I said..........best lifestyle around

I think my shift is the best for my schedule.

I work a 12 hour shift 7a-7p. Other crews work at alternating times. I work every M & W and every other Fri-Sun.

This means I always have T & Th off, and I have 4-days off every other weekend.

I get paid more per hour than do 24-hour medics at my service, because it is determined that they do less work at certain times during the shift.

I work 3-4 days a week, and can easily pick up overtime on my days off, which is readily available.

The best part, I have every night off to spend with my family, and can take weekend trips whenever I want every couple of weeks.

My shift is nothing but pure gravy. I work a 32-hour shift every weekend, then a 16 hour shift every other Thursday. WOrks well for my school schedule. The 32 hour shift is usually very slow, so plenty of time to study and sleep! Earn Money Sleeping....that's my kind of work.

Originally posted by Krazed_Medic
My shift is nothing but pure gravy. I work a 32-hour shift every weekend, then a 16 hour shift every other Thursday. WOrks well for my school schedule. The 32 hour shift is usually very slow, so plenty of time to study and sleep! Earn Money Sleeping....that's my kind of work.

I had one of those a long time ago........:(