Night shifts in neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1095841

I'm a med student considering Neurology.
If I work in neurology consults at an academic center, will there be night shifts?
And how often? (e.g. 10 days a year, 20 days a year, >= 30 days a year, etc.)

Is it different in academics vs. private practice?

Also, I'm assuming if I work in outpatient neurology rather than consults, there will be no nights.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually it’s a 7 day on, 7 day off system- when you’re on, you are on 24 hours straight. However, usually (and you should look into the contract for this) there’s telestroke coverage at night, so you don’t come in at night- just get 2-3 calls overnight. 20-26 weeks of this- and the rest is vacation.

The nocturnist neurologist model is kind of dying due to telestroke coverage and neurology moving to a consult only service- telestroke takes care of acute stuff, and most other things can be seen in morning.

As a resident- you have either night float system (imo better) or take 24 hour call every few days (imo worse). In the night float system you have on average 12/X months per hospital you cover on night float throughout residency, where X represents the number of residents in a program. So for the average program with 6 residents that’s 2 months of night float per hospital in that residency system.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!
Question: how does one be on for 24 hours straight for 7 days? When do they sleep?

Members don't see this ad :)
Misread the first time.

You take home call for the most part at night.

Thanks!
Question: how does one be on for 24 hours straight for 7 days? When do they sleep?
You’re on 24hrs, but you’re not technically working the whole time. Like mentioned above, typically most things are taken care of during the day, and you take stroke calls over night. Some nights you may get 0 call, and others you may get 10. You sleep in between calls ( or the whole night when there’s no call).

Last edited:
Do nocturnists only not exist? like IM hospitalists have.
For stroke- yes. One of my seniors signed up for a 7 on, 7 off stroke+tele job between 7pm-7am. Basically nocturnist, but also has the flexibility to be remote in certain cases. Then another guy I know signed up for neurocrit at night- but he also covers standard ICU on nights.

Standard neurohospitalist doesn’t need nocturnists