NIGHTLIFE @ SCO and NOVA

Started by orion771
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

orion771

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I was accepted at SCO and NOVA and was wondering if current students or anyone who knows the area could tell me about the nightlife at either of the schools.

Also how often do you get to take a breatk and go out for a night on the town?

I know NOVA is close to miami so there is a lot of things to do around there, but I am not sure (besides downtown memphis) if there is a lot going on or not.
 
Downtown Memphis has a New Orleans feel to it. They close off Beale Street and there's a bunch of bars and clubs with live music. Pat Obrien's, the piano bar, seems to be popular amongst some of my friends. Two guys sing popular songs on the piano. You have plenty of time to go out once or twice a week if you choose. It is the home of the blues and the birthplace of rock and roll after all. There should be some music festivals coming up in the spring or summer, but I haven't been here long enough to really comment on those. There's plenty of stuff to do like any major city.
 
stevec said:
Downtown Memphis has a New Orleans feel to it. They close off Beale Street and there's a bunch of bars and clubs with live music. Pat Obrien's, the piano bar, seems to be popular amongst some of my friends. Two guys sing popular songs on the piano. You have plenty of time to go out once or twice a week if you choose. It is the home of the blues and the birthplace of rock and roll after all. There should be some music festivals coming up in the spring or summer, but I haven't been here long enough to really comment on those. There's plenty of stuff to do like any major city.


cool thanx :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
orion771 said:
cool thanx :laugh:
By the way Pat Obrien's has no cover charge. One of my roommates has only been there a couple times and somehow managed to spot Jim Kelly (football player) and Jackson Browne (the singer). Jackson Browne sang a song.
 
they closed off beale street?

stevec said:
Downtown Memphis has a New Orleans feel to it. They close off Beale Street and there's a bunch of bars and clubs with live music. Pat Obrien's, the piano bar, seems to be popular amongst some of my friends. Two guys sing popular songs on the piano. You have plenty of time to go out once or twice a week if you choose. It is the home of the blues and the birthplace of rock and roll after all. There should be some music festivals coming up in the spring or summer, but I haven't been here long enough to really comment on those. There's plenty of stuff to do like any major city.
 
I interviewed at both SCO and NOVA.... honestly.... area around SCO is ghetto.... if you want to have a good time... gotta go with Florida.. I didnt end up going to either... enrolled in UHCO.... damn.... I don't like Houston, but at least I saved some money.... I kinda wish I went to NOVA.... nice weather, beach.... what more can I say....
 
ODhopeful said:
I interviewed at both SCO and NOVA.... honestly.... area around SCO is ghetto.... if you want to have a good time... gotta go with Florida.. I didnt end up going to either... enrolled in UHCO.... damn.... I don't like Houston, but at least I saved some money.... I kinda wish I went to NOVA.... nice weather, beach.... what more can I say....

Hey, we're in the dirty south, what do you expect? 😕
But trust me, we have a good time here.
 
sco1styear said:
Hey, we're in the dirty south, what do you expect? 😕
But trust me, we have a good time here.


How much work do you do on the weekends? I get this feeling that students are cramming 24/7.
 
blazenmadison said:
How much work do you do on the weekends? I get this feeling that students are cramming 24/7.

Our class officers actually meet with our professors to schedule tests so that they are the best time for us. We learned that putting tests on Monday is not a good idea so we try to steer away from that which usually leaves us with ample time to goof off on the weekend. The weekend usually helps with some catch up but there is almost always time to take a nice break from school. Esp. your first year.