Nightmare..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zabispurs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to list my DAT scores cause a) I'm pretty upset right now b) the scores really are irrelievent to what I'm going to say.

First off thanks for everyone giving away free, cool, study material. Some if it helped, some it was alright.. I really think it's cool that a lot of people do score so high, but being a Bio Major who has already graduated, I can say one thing. THE DAT IS HARSH! HORRID! A NIGHTMARE! I've studied for a couple months. Used tons of review books, everything and anything that I could get my hands on. And I took practice tests all the time.... I thought I was ready..but..

Bio: It is BS what kind of questions they ask about. I'm going to be a dentist and I have to know all this stupid ecology/biosphere/evolution. Thank god I've taken evolution and ecology, but I thought this was supposed to be more "physiology"..you know since we are studying on a "human body"... I think the Biology does throw curveballs, but overall it really isn't bad..

Gen Chem: I hated Gen Chem before I started studying for it..but the past few weeks I found it easier and easier. I got average, and for getting 13's on practice test I'm alright with that. I thought Gen. Chem was the easiest of the whole test.

Ochem: I got the best grades in Ochem. I thought Ochem "Kaplan will be enough"... Even after Kaplan I went back to old textbooks and notecards...OCHEM SUCKED. It really is horrible how they can ask so many stupid questions..So the point is..Do NOT NOT underestimate OCHEM..Read your textbook and go over EVERYTHING..

PAT: easier than Topscore and DAT Achiever..

Reading: WTF? I must of had the hardest passages. Two passages on the brain and one on the comets and astroids. ... I guess there is another 'easy' method I don't know about..

MATH: The worst..worst...worst..ever...1 minute. 1 question. Ruined my whole AA...

My advice:
Please don't take this test if your getting low scores on Topscore or DAT Achiever...
Don't under estimate Ochem..
Take lots of Math Questions..

I've really let myself down.

Members don't see this ad.

Zabispurs said:
I'm not going to list my DAT scores cause a) I'm pretty upset right now b) the scores really are irrelievent to what I'm going to say.

My advice:
Please don't take this test if your getting low scores on Topscore or DAT Achiever...

Don't beat yourself up Zabispurs, it happens to the best of us, to this day I still swear I got the doogie howser version of the DAT when I took it. I have a rock solid GPA and a good foundation in sciences and the same thing happened to me. The only advice I (or anyone) can give is to really focus the next 3 months and use this experience to come back harder and stronger... With that being said, back to the books for me....

I would say if your getting 15's to 17's on topscore your not ready. I would say if your getting 16's on DAT ACHIEVER, your not ready. I think if you score over 20s on Topscore and DAT Achiever on at least 2 tests then your ready... thats my next goal..only problem is I've already taken the tests and will be retaking them..wish there was much more out there...

I've been sitting in my room contemplating what my next step is. Tommorrow I'm going to my state school *UNLV* and seeing what I need to do to make sure I'm getting in for this cycle of applications.. I'm definately going to retake..and I'm definately know how to do well this time around..

Peace Ya'll

Members don't see this ad :)
hey zab...u and i are in the same boat!

i think we might have actually had the same test, if not very similar

i took mine on monday, 7/17 and did real bad!

funny thing is i totally agree with your description of each section
also, we had the same exact reading comprehension passages, one on comets and junk, and two on the brain

its funny that we both did poorly and had the same/very similar tests

when exactly did you take your test?
also...if you don't mind, i'm going to send you a PM with my scores, i'm curious to see how you scored..for comparison reasons

either we both got screwed with bad exams, or we both are approaching studying for this test in the wrong way.

i guess we'll both be retaking this test in October...are u planning on taking the kaplan class...i think that might be the best approach for us at this moment.

Kaplan class sucked period. do online stuff if you really want the practice. And if your getting 16 on dat achiever bio id say your in good shape.

I think if you know the material you are ready. There is always fluctuation in the practice tests.

From reading these posts, it would seem like people usually do a little better on Topscore than Achiever. Is this usually the case? Oddly enough, I have been doing better on the Achiever tests. It seems as though the questions on Topscore Orgo are kinda crazy and they throw a bunch of biochem at you, whereas the Achiever q's are more straightforward. Any insight?
Real test is in a week ( Kaplan ~20's AA , Achiever ~19-20 AA, Topscore ~18-19 AA). Also, topscore pat is a joke compared to the achiever. Is the real one more of a hybrid of the two?

sumluck said:
From reading these posts, it would seem like people usually do a little better on Topscore than Achiever. Is this usually the case? Oddly enough, I have been doing better on the Achiever tests. It seems as though the questions on Topscore Orgo are kinda crazy and they throw a bunch of biochem at you, whereas the Achiever q's are more straightforward. Any insight?
Real test is in a week ( Kaplan ~20's AA , Achiever ~19-20 AA, Topscore ~18-19 AA). Also, topscore pat is a joke compared to the achiever. Is the real one more of a hybrid of the two?

If you are getting 19- 20's on Achiever then you'll be fine. Achevier makes their questions harder due to the fact that a lot of them have more than one correct answer, which requires you to know everything about the subject they are testing. I was scoring 16-18's on Achiever and got in the 20's on some sections. I was happy with what I got. If you are honestly getting those scores (without looking at the answers first and saying to yourself, I knew that, I would have put that as my answer. (In Topscore)) then I would bet you do really well on the real DAT. Good luck.

Don't let it get you down Dude!!! I kind of feel the same way but i have yet to take the DAT. The more and more I study the stupider I feel. Ironic huh? All this Info is just WAY TOO overwhelming. I know everybody says that Kaplan material is enough, But after taking some of the practice test, Seems like you have to know EVERYTHING. I thought I was smart before studying but man was i wrong. :confused: :confused: Don't let this hurdle get you down, Get up and finish the Race. Good luck!!!

Zabispurs said:

First off thanks for everyone giving away free, cool, study material. Some if it helped, some it was alright.. I really think it's cool that a lot of people do score so high, but being a Bio Major who has already graduated, I can say one thing. THE DAT IS HARSH! HORRID! A NIGHTMARE! I've studied for a couple months. Used tons of review books, everything and anything that I could get my hands on. And I took practice tests all the time.... I thought I was ready..but..

Bio: It is BS what kind of questions they ask about. I'm going to be a dentist and I have to know all this stupid ecology/biosphere/evolution. Thank god I've taken evolution and ecology, but I thought this was supposed to be more "physiology"..you know since we are studying on a "human body"... I think the Biology does throw curveballs, but overall it really isn't bad..

Gen Chem: I hated Gen Chem before I started studying for it..but the past few weeks I found it easier and easier. I got average, and for getting 13's on practice test I'm alright with that. I thought Gen. Chem was the easiest of the whole test.

Ochem: I got the best grades in Ochem. I thought Ochem "Kaplan will be enough"... Even after Kaplan I went back to old textbooks and notecards...OCHEM SUCKED. It really is horrible how they can ask so many stupid questions..So the point is..Do NOT NOT underestimate OCHEM..Read your textbook and go over EVERYTHING..

PAT: easier than Topscore and DAT Achiever..

Reading: WTF? I must of had the hardest passages. Two passages on the brain and one on the comets and astroids. ... I guess there is another 'easy' method I don't know about..

MATH: The worst..worst...worst..ever...1 minute. 1 question. Ruined my whole AA...

My advice:

UNLV only asks for a score of 18 for you to get in Zabi. Stop complaining lol.

Really? Wow buddy I really didn't know that. Thanks for the 4-1-1. So what your saying is all I need is an 18 and I'm in UNLV Dental School..sounds like a safe bet..thanks man now I'm definately not going to study the next few months and just work on getting a 24 on the reading...haha..what a stupid comment..

Next time you throw out your opinions, talk to some of the hard working students who go to UNLV and have tried for 2 or 3 years now to get into UNLV w/ 18s or 19s and still are not guaranteed...

I love UNLV and I can't wait to attend it, but I was just really upset at the scores and I thought I had more potential than that..but I'm retaking in October and wish for the best...

Chill Zabi, I'm your allie, but just got a lil bit more sarcastic from excessive partying in the summer before heading to NYC.
You probably don't remember this but a year and half ago in the lied library you told me that UNLV admission asked you to boost your dat score to an 18 which would "garantee" you a spot and if you had a higher GPA they would have accepted you even with a score lower than 18.
I understand the situation right now could have been more competitive as more Utah guys found out there are actually some hot chicks in UNLV SDM, but again I was just joking.
Dont beat yourself up big boy, you will shine if you have the potential. Same suggestion to you again is to get your application sent out asap.
If you ever interview in NYC, give me a call we'll grab a beer together.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I know for sure I had that Astroid passage when I took the DAT back in Oct. RC was my lowest score. As far as the RC the passages were a few paragraphs longer than anything that Kaplan had prepared me for. Also if you get a dense passage w/ a lot of dates, stats, and important names, than the mapping stradegy that Kaplan teaches you is way too slow.

I knew you were someone from UNLV.. Hey last year also I sent out my app in December, so I was very uninformed..haha..sorry for jumping at you..i just hate when people think UNLV is an easy school to get into..you know? I'll send you a message later, and actually I will be visiting NYU in August so I'll def. hit you up....peace