NIH F30 and Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Plant

Reaction score
Hi all. How important would you say undergraduate grades are for an NIH F30 application? Overall I had a 3.7 but I did have three C's that I'm worried I'll get called out on. Has anyone on here received an F30 despite having C's or lower on your biosketch?

Members don't see this ad.

F30s are based upon the science, the environment, training record of mentor, training plan, and the individual. If you have done well in medical school, have good step 1, have a manuscript (preparation or submitted), a few presentations, and good LORs, you might find a comment from one reviewer but it won't be the reason to sink your application. Much more often, other factors are the key to sinking an otherwise great application, not a 3.7 with a couple of C's. FYI-I have reviewed >300 F30/31s.

Reactions: 1 users
Mind as well ask since I just submitted my F30:

Is a 30 mcat (about 509 on current scale) worrisome? Grades, step 1 and other factors are otherwise good.

FYI... MCAT is not longer required to be reported in F30 or MSTP applications. Place it if you have a high number, but otherwise, don't show it. It is not too low, but you might get a critique from one (or more) reviewers. Same is for USMLE Step 1. If you don't place them, reviewers might comment but it is not required either.

See: G.240 - R&R Senior/Key Person Profile (Expanded) Form

Reactions: 1 user