NIH IRTA LOR Question??

Started by BenZq
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BenZq

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been looking into the NIH Postbac IRTA program and have read many positive reviews. I'm looking for advice regarding Letters of Recommendation that I would need to submit with my application. I really wasn't the most active student in college when it came to engaging my professors, especially those in science (regretfully). Despite my shortcomings I still want to improve and strengthen my application to grad/med schools.

I can get letters from 2 of my history professors. One would describe my ability to handle a difficult and challenging workload, while the other would describe me being well-rounded. This still leaves me short one letter, and specifically lacking a letter from a science professor. So my question here is for advice. Should I contact a science professor whose class I did well in and ask for a letter, even though it might be impersonal? How important are these letters for the IRTA program? I highly appreciate any advice.:xf: