NIH loan repayment + PSLF

Started by pedstar09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pedstar09

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently a first year fellow in a research heavy subspecialty. I just recently found out about the NIH Loan Repayment program where, if you commit to do research for next 2 years, they will repay up to $50K of your loan (or 1/4th of total) every year. I did check and fellowship mandatory research can count as this. I hear the application is extremely lengthy, but obviously worth it if you are getting significant money paid for. Also, I am currently under PSLF and my loans are with Fedloans. What impact does this have on PSLF?

I hear the goal of this program is to generate more researchers. I think I have research, at least in my fellowship that will be significant and will qualify in one of the categories that they say on their website, but I am not sure about the process. Has anyone done this successfully? I would love to talk to someone about this! TIA