NIH MD/PhD Track 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcsrkkhlt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here is currently part of Track 2 at NIH and could share a bit on their experiences. I want to apply for Track 2 but I don't know about applying and the process/coordination at all (e.g. is it only possible to do it through OxCam, or is the PhD research only at NIH, or is it between NIH and your home institution, etc.?).

Also, what type of student is it most beneficial to? I feel like the student will have to be a trailblazer and the onus will be on the student to maintain coordination between different PIs and do a lot of the project-developing and pushing forward on (mostly) their own. Is that true? Would students who like more guidance and "hands-on" mentors not do well in Track 2? How is it like to maintain coordination between the different PIs and NIH and your home institution, like if you have mandatory events at your home institution that you have to keep flying back and forth for or if you first have to take graduate courses at your own school? Is it possible to finish the PhD in 4 years or less?

There are a lot of benefits in Track 2 that I can see but I'd also like to be aware of any possible caveats or downsides that I may not have touched on above. It's a pretty big step in a student's burgeoning career to choose the right PhD mentor and research so I just want to be fully aware of what goes on in Track 2.

Members don't see this ad.

This is an n of 1, but from a home program perspective, the GPP leaves something to be desired. Nearly half of our trainees who have done the GPP have experienced difficulties with OxCam, and we were powerless to do anything to influence the situation. You really have to be self-reliant and take charge of your training; not only on the research side, but also on the logistical side. From our subjective perspective, the research our trainees did through the GPP was just OK; we think they could have done better in a lab at our institution. Again, this is just one program's perspective based on Track 1 and Track 2 students. YAMMV

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response. Just bumping to ask if anyone is currently in Track 2 and would be willing via PM to explain more about the application process and the research experience.