NIH Ox-Cam Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently an accepted MSTP student intending to start MS1 in the fall and was also interested in doing the PhD in University of Cambridge in the UK. I heard about the NIH OxCam program and wanted to learn a bit more about the program since the previous threads seemed kind of confusing.

Is it possible for me to apply for the OxCam program during MS1 and then take a break from my MSTP institution to do the PhD and also return back to the MSTP institution for MS3/MS4 with full funding? I am mainly worried that the MSTP "expires" once one does the PhD and that one has to pay out-of-pocket tuition for MS3 and MS4 - anyone know anything about this? Any other information/experiences you have had with the OxCam program are very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey @mstpee! I'm a current Track 1 MD/PhD OxCam student. I am unsure as to whether you can do the structure you are proposing without having to pay for your MS1 and MS2 years. I think this is because MSTPs effectively get an extra slot for you if you apply before matriculation which incentivizes their participation (they only have to supplement the money NIH gives them for you). However, if you are not a student of the program prior to matriculation, your MSTP would have to foot the full bill for MS1 which they may be weary doing. It's also important to note that not all MSTPs participate in the program. Where will you be attending? I would talk to your PD as well and contact the NIH MD/PhD OxCam program director. He's wonderful! Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current Track 1 MD/PhD OxCam student.

:love::love::love::love:

This makes me so ridiculously happy.

(Sorry, mstpee, I don't have any advice, but very best of wishes to you in the future and congratulations on your acceptance!)

Reactions: 4 users
Hey @mstpee! I'm a current Track 1 MD/PhD OxCam student. I am unsure as to whether you can do the structure you are proposing without having to pay for your MS1 and MS2 years. I think this is because MSTPs effectively get an extra slot for you if you apply before matriculation which incentivizes their participation (they only have to supplement the money NIH gives them for you). However, if you are not a student of the program prior to matriculation, your MSTP would have to foot the full bill for MS1 which they may be weary doing. It's also important to note that not all MSTPs participate in the program. Where will you be attending? I would talk to your PD as well and contact the NIH MD/PhD OxCam program director. He's wonderful! Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Hi @ADW1994 , thanks a lot for the response! I think you are correct. I did some more research into the program and it seems like Track 2 is for students who are accepted into regular MD and wish to do MD/PhD (so similar to doing internal MSTP transfer). It seems like already accepted MSTP students can also apply through Track 2, but the majority of the MSTP programs discourage their students from the Track 2 OxCam program because the NIH does not reimburse full tuition for M1 and M2. I will do some more research into this and contact the director as you suggest too. It seems like it might not be possible for me to do the PhD in Cambridge but at least I'll have some more information to better advise others too! Congrats on getting accepted as a Track 1 applicant!

Is it difficult to be accepted as a track 1 student. I'm applying to md/phd programs in the upcoming cycle and wanted to know how competitive the NIH OxCam program is for people like me who are still juniors in college.

Is it difficult to be accepted as a track 1 student. I'm applying to md/phd programs in the upcoming cycle and wanted to know how competitive the NIH OxCam program is for people like me who are still juniors in college.

I'm not sure how many people apply, but 16 MD/PhDs interviewed for 4 spots max. If it makes you feel better, I got in out of undergrad. Just show your passion for research and the program and that will go a long way. Also, try and set yourself up by applying to a lot of institutions that participate with OxCam.

I'm not sure how many people apply, but 16 MD/PhDs interviewed for 4 spots max. If it makes you feel better, I got in out of undergrad. Just show your passion for research and the program and that will go a long way. Also, try and set yourself up by applying to a lot of institutions that participate with OxCam.

What institutes participate with OxCam?

What institutes participate with OxCam?

Do you mean medical schools? Many but there are some notable exceptions like UCSF and Tri-I. Look at the web site of the programs you are interested in.

Do you mean NIH institutes and centers? All of them; it depends on whether or not a PI is willing to support a joint project or not.