Aug 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was curious if anyone had any insight into how competitive the NIH OxCam program is for track 1 applicants (those applying to start as MS1s)? I understand that you have to be accepted into a partnering MSTP first, but I was curious how much more competitive (in terms of stats, research experience, etc) this program is compared to getting into a MSTP to start with? Thanks!

May 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I spoke to a track 1 OxCam scholar and they had lower than average stats for their MSTP program (Top 15-30). This person said it was not that competitive, but they had also spent 2 years as an NIH Postbac.

I believe if you have a compelling partnership proposal, then it would increase your chances. If you're choosing from one of the existing partnership projects, then that may help as well.

Disclaimer: Just an anecdotal view given my relationship with a current OxCam scholar.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

pcsrkkhlt

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2017
I would say getting into OxCam via Track 1 is at least as competitive, if not more competitive, than getting into an MSTP. Track 1 only has about 4 slots a year, chosen from about 16 interviewees. As alluded to above, painting a picture of what a project would look like or who potential PIs could be, or describing your desire to join an existing project on their website, can also help.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

MSTPadvocate

2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
keep in mind that not all MSTPs participate in the OxCam program.

Fencer

MSTP Director
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2007
TEXAS (Eden)
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
... and some but not all of the participating MSTPs provide the supplement to bridge NIH stipend and tuition to 100% of the institution. In some cases, with private school, tuition would be tens of thousands of dollars of gap x 4 years.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.